ALLEN COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY
3 1833 01394 0710
SKETCH OP THE
THOMPSON P A M T T. Y
JOHN LELAND THOMPSON
3o$n Manb W^mpm.
^iQb QJUlaich Z7tK mo.
^Jp ^Jompson ?flinilg*
Or, on a fesse dancettee az. three estoiles ar. on a
canton of the second, the sun in glory ppr. Crest^ an
arm erect, vested gu. cuff ar. holding in the hand ppr.
five ears of wheat or. Motto — In lumine luce.
A SKETCH CF THE HISTORV
From the time of their Settlement In this Country to the present ti
Anthony Thompson, with his wife, two children and
two brothers, John and William, embarked at London
on board the ship Hector and ship (name not known)
in company with Governor Eaton, Rev. Mr. Davenport
and others, of Coventry, England, and arrived at Eos-
ton June 26, 1637, according to Winthrop's Journal,
though Cotton Mather says it was on the 23d of July
in the same year. They were dissenters from the
Church of England, and left home to enjoy quietly
here the principles of their faith, as well as to avoid
the constant persecutions, taxes and exactions which
were so frec^uent during the reign of Charles I.
In the spring of 1638, Messrs Davenport and Eaton
made diligent search for a desirable location for the
settlement of their colony, and being, perhaps, the
most energetic and wealthy party which up to that
period had emigrated to these shores, several towns
made them tempting offers to join them, but as no
site appeared to hold out as many advantages as
Quinnipiac, or New Haven, they finally concluded to
make that place their permanent abode. Anthony
Thompson signed the colonial constitution of June
4th, 1639. As the Thompson brothers had probably
been more or less connected with agricultural pur-
suits at home, we find they soon secured lands here.
John lived at East Haven, and died there December
II, 1674. It is asserted that the farm which he occu-
pied is now in the possession of some of his descend-
Anthony and William resided at New Haven during
their lives, and died there.
Anthony died March 23, 1647, at which time he
made a noncupative will, in presence of Rev. John
Davenport and Robert Newman, who afterwards com-
mitted his instructions to writing, and appeared before
the proper officer to prove it, May 27, 1650. He
bequeathed the lands which were set off to him
originally, and the house which he had erected thereon,
to his son John; other lands since purchased, to An-
thony; a certain sum to Bridget (a daughter of his
first wife), provided she married in accordance with
the wishes of the deacons of the church ; and the re-
mainder to his second wife, Catherine, and to his three
daughters by her, her share to continue during her
widowhood. But as it appears she married Nicholas
Camp, July 14, 1652, the property probably reverted
to the family. Anthony, Jr., made his will while on a
visit at Milford on the 26th, and died on the 29th of
December, 1654, giving most of his property to his
brother John. William, who was probably a bachelor,
made his will October 6, 1682, and died the same year.
He bequeathed all his property to his relations, par-
ticularly mentioning his nephew John.
John seems to have been a sea captain. He had
three children mentioned on the records of the town,
viz: — Mary, born September 9, 1667; Samuel, born
May 12, 1669; Sarah, born January 16, 1671; but he
probably had two or three previously, whose names
they neglected to register. John died June 2, 1707,
and an inventory of his estate is on record. His son
Samuel was married November 14, 1695, to Rebecca
Bishop, daughter of the Lieutenant-Governor. They
lived at the Beaver Ponds, now called Westville,
about two miles from New Haven. He was captain
of the military company in New Haven. He must
have been a healthy, athletic man, as his grandson
Hezekiah used to relate that he rode behind him on
horseback from New Haven to Goshen, a distance of
about 50 miles, when in his 82nd year, at which latter
place he died.
His children were :
I. Samuel, born December 2, 1696.
n. James, born June 5, 1699.
HI. Amos, born March 3, 1702.
IV. Gideon, born December 25, 1704
V. Rebecca, born February 23, 1708.
VI. Judah, born June 10, 17 10 — died August
VII. Judah, October 5, 1713.
VIII. Enos, born August t8, 17 17.
This family lived to an advanced age. Some of
them settled in what is now the town of Stanford, in
Dutchess County, near the line of North-East, New
York, and others in Goshen, Conn. Smith Thomp-
son, Judge of the Supreuie Court of the United States,
and subsequently Secretary of the Navy, descended
from this (Stanford) branch of the family. Enos
Thompson Throop, grandson of Enos Thompson,
was Charge to Naples, and Governor of the State of
New York. Hezekiah, Esq., son of James Thomp-
son, was born in 1735. ^is father died in conse-
quence of a fall from a cherry tree, in the year 1737.
He being under the guardianship of his uncle, Enos
Thompson at the age of 14 years was bound out to a
saddler's trade; but on arriving at mature age, com-
menced the study and practice of law in the town of
Woodbury, and seems to have been a lawyer of some
eminence. He built there a stately mansion, and
died March, 1803. He had two sons, William and
James. The first lived in Sullivan County, N. Y., was
first judge of the County, and died December 9, 1847.
James was an Episcopal clergyman, lived in the town
of New Durham, Greene County, N. Y., and died
August 4, 1844.
Mention should have been made of the family of
Samuel before that of James, the father of Hezekiah.
Samuel settled on the East line of the town of
Stanford, a little west of the place known as Federal
Store. He or Ezra built the brick house now in the
possession of Widow Phebe Thompson, in the year
1785. His son Caleb the house a little to the west
(also a brick house) now owned by J. B. Carpenter,
in the year 1783. Smith Thompson aforesaid was the
son of Ezra.
Amos settled near the pond known by the name of
Thompson's Pond, as near as can be ascertained, about
the year 1746; Gideon in Goshen, Conn. But little is
known about his descendants. Rebecca married a
man in New Haven by the name of Austin. Her son.
Deacon Austin, was a prominent man in that place.
Of Jiidah but little is known. He lived and died
in New Haven.
Enos lived on the west side of the square on or
near the place where Seth Cook now lives. His
daughter was the mother of Enos T. Throop, before
Amos was married to Sarah Allen in 1726.
Son Allen was born in the year 1727.
Daughter Rebecca " *' '' 1729.
Son Amos " '' " 1731.
Son Ezra " " " 1734.
Ezra Thompson married Rachel Smith.
" Ezra, Jr., born Sept. 3, 1765, died April 3, 1829.
Ezra Thompson, Jr., was born Sept. 3, 1765.
Ezra Thompson, Jr. and Sallie Burton were married
July 13, 1786.
— 14 —
Huldah, their daughter, was born July 27, 1787.
Polly, " " " Dec. 19, 1788.
Tamma, " '' " Aug. 28, 1790.
Sally, " " " Aug. 22, 1792.
George Smith, their son, " Mar. 31, 1794.
Walter, " " " Mar. 4, 1796.
John Leland, " " " Dec. i, 1797.
Rachel, their daughter, " Sept, 21, 1799.
Julia Ann, '' " Feb. 8, 1802.
John Leland Thompson and Mary P. Thompson
were married at New London, Conn., Aug. 17, 1829.
John Isaac, their son, was born April 2, 183 1.
William Augustus, " " Feb. 2, 1834.
Mary Elizabeth, their daughter, was born May 14,
George Smith, their son, was born Feb 14, 1840.
Robert Hallam, " " Aug. 16, 1845.
James Leland, " " Sept. 17, 1847.
Walter, " " Jan. 12, 1851.
Edward Ray, " " March 19, 1854.
May I, 1880.
From the 'Ikoy Morning Whig of March 29, 1880.
Joljn Edantr Cljompson,
The death of John Leland Thompson, who for
nearly sixty-three years has been identified with the
growth and prosperity of this city, occurred on Satur-
day last, at 11.23 p. M., at his residence, No. 24 First
Street. His ancestors were among the early colonists
who came to these shores, the founder of the family
in this country being Anthony Thompson, who was
from Coventry, England, and who with his wife and
two children, and his brothers, John and William,
landed at Boston, June 26, 1637.
In the same ship — the Hector— in which they per-
formed their journey, they had as part of their com-
pany, the Rev. John Davenport, who had been a
famous minister in the city of London, and who be-
came the first minister of New Haven, and so con-
tinued from 1638 to 1668; and several who had been
of his congregation, among whom were Theophilus
— 17 —
Eaton and Edward Hopkins, who had been merchants
in London, possessed of great estates and eminent for
their abilities and integrity, both of whom were, after-
wards, governors of Connecticut.
Anthony Thompson settled in New Haven, became
one of the founders of that colony, and died there
March 2;^, 1647. His grandson, Samuel Thompson,
married Rebecca, the daughter of Janies Bishojj, who
for many years was lieutenant governor of Connecti-
cut. Ezra Thompson, the great grandson of Samuel
Thompson, was an inhabitant of Dutchess county, in
this State, and represented that county m the conven-
tion of the State of New York, which met during the
summer of 1788, at Poughkeepsie, for the purpose of
considering the Constitution of the United States that
had been adopted in a convention of the confederacy,
held in the previous year. Ezra Thompson was born
September 3, 1765, and married Sarah Burton, July
13, 1786. They had nine children, of whom John L.
Thompson, the subject of this notice, was born at
Amenia, in Dutchess county, on December i, 1797.
Ezra Thompson was a republican of the school of Jef-
ferson, and was also a Baptist in religious profession.
Being a personal friend of the Rev. John Leland, a
Baptist clergyman of eminence at this period, and a
strenuous advocate of civil and religious rights, he
gave the name of this clergyman to his son.
— 18 —
Young Thompson passed the days of his boyhood,
partly on the farm of his father and partly at school,
until the year 1817, when he was brought by his
father to Troy, and found employment as a clerk in
the drug store of his brother-in-law. Dr. Samuel Gale,
at No. 161 River Street. At this period. Dr. Gale was
the postmaster of this city and the post office was kept
at his store. It was at this point, three years later, that
the historic fire of 1820 was arrested by the extraordi-
nary exertions of a few gentlemen. The building was
frequently on fire, but was only partially damaged.
About 1822, Mr. Thompson was admitted as a partner
by Dr. Gale, and the business was conducted under
the firm name of Gale & Thompson until about 1826,
when Mr. Gale sold his interest to Mr. Thompson, and
for the next fifteen years the latter was the sole pro-
prietor. In 1 84 1, David Co wee became a partner,
and the style of the firm was changed to John L.
Thompson & Co. In 1855, by which time John I.
Thompson and William A. Thompson, sons of John
L. Thompson, had been admitted to the firm, its desig-
nation was changed to John L. Thompson, Sons &
Co., and by this name it has since been known.
The business which Mr. Thompson entered upon as
a young man, received from its inception his undi-
vided attention. Under his guidance and direction it
gradually developed, until the transactions, which at
— T9 —
the beginning required only a few rooms for their ac-
complishment, are now carried on in four large ware-
houses, and in various other lofts and buildings, which
are occupied as wanted, and whose floor-room amounts
to an area of an acre and a half. One of the princi-
ples by which he was guided, was the observance of
the strictest integrity in all his dealings, and this rule
of conduct he laid down as the guide for all who came
within the sphere of his influence. For nearly sixty-
three years he conducted business on the same spot,
and at the time of his death was the oldest and
wealthiest merchant in this city, and was at the head
of a drug house, than which there are only two in the
State whose transactions are larger.
He never held public office, but was interested in
the welfare and growth of the city. He was promi-
nently connected with the organization of the Troy
and Greenbush Railroad Company in 1844, and in the
construction of their road, and was a director of the
company. He was one of the organizers of the Troy
Union Railroad Company in 1851, was specially active
and influential in procuring the title to the lands pur-
chased in this city for the location of that road and
for the site of the Union Depot, and was a director of
the company. He became a director of the old
Farmers' Bank of this city, in 1836, and continued as
such until that institution was merged in the United
National Bank in 1865, and resigned his directorship
in the latter organization only when it became ap-
parent that he could not be longer usefully active in
its management He was for many years a trustee of
the Troy Savings Bank; a director of the Albany and
Vermont Railroad Company; a governor of the Mar-
shall Infirmary, and held other positions of trust and
When he first came to Troy, he became a member
of the family of Dr. Gale, at 55 First street, and there
resided until his marriage to Miss Mary P. Thomp-
son, which occurred August 17, 1829. He subse-
quently, and until 1831, lived at 81 River street, at
the end of which period he moved into house 128
First street, which he had been building, meantime, as
a dwelling for himself and family. In the year 1848
he began the construction of his beautiful and spacious
residence 24 First street, into which he moved in 1850,
and where he has since dwelt. He was the father of
eight children, all of whom, with his wife, between
whom and himself there always existed the most
tender and thoughtful affection, remain to respect an
example and revere in memory a life which never
failed to elicit from them the most reverent and filial
In his life and conduct Mr. Thompson exemplified,
fully, his respect for the laws of health and his devo-
tion to the highest principles of morality and virtue.
When the VVashingtonian temperance movement first
began to exert its influence, in the year 1840, he gave
it his hearty and undivided support. He had been
through all his previous life strictly temperate in his
habits, but from that time forward he resolved to ab-
stain wholly from spirituous, vinous and malt liquors,
declaring that no one should ever refer to him as an
evil example. He was equally opposed to the use of
tobacco in any form. And thus it happened, that
having been gifted with a good constitution, he rarely
ever had suffered from illness until within the lasi two
years. On Saturday, July 20, 1878, he had a slight
attack of apoplexy, which rendered him measurably
apprehensive. On the following Monday, he attended
the funeral of George M. Tibbits, and while seated in
St. John's Church, during the service on that occasion,
was again partially prostrated by the same disorder
and was assisted to his home, which from that time
forward he never left, unless when he was taken out
for a drive.
During his illness, his articulation, for some of the
time, was indistinct, and he often seemed to be labor-
ing to express thoughts which his tongue refused to
frame into words. On one of these occasions, one of
his sons, after much patient study, made out this
expression : " You will never make a success in life
without sterling integrity." The son repeated the
words as he had understood his father to express them,
and Mr. Thompson, by his assenting looks and ges-
tures, confirmed the interpretation. In this one
statement is to be found the keynote of his life. He
was a man of strong will and inflexible purpose and
determination. In his business relations he strove to
do exactly as he had agreed to do, and he required
the same conduct from others.
After he came to Troy, he attended the ministra-
tions of Dr. Coe until the death of that respected
clergyman. Subsequent to his marriage he worshipped
at St. Paul's church, and although he was not a com-
municant until a very late period of his life, yet he
rarely failed to attend at both the morning and the
evening service. A few weeks ago, he was told that it
would do him good, if he would go to his office, and
mingle with the outer world again. He replied,
pleasantly, that he would attend church at Easter.
And it so happened, that just before the Easter light
was dawning, his soul arose from its earthly enthrall-
ments, and as this lower world of Christendom was
singing, with glad accord, "The Lord is Arisen,"
there was doubtless revealed to his disburdened and
informed spirit, the glories of a resurrection morning.
From the Troy Daily Times of March 29, 1880.
John Leland Thompson, senior member of the
firm of John L. Thompson, Sons & Co., and one of the
oldest and most prosperous merchants of this city, died
at 11:23 o'clock on Saturday night, after an illness of
nearly two years On Saturday, July 20, 1878, he suf-
fered a slight stroke of apoplexy, and on the following
Monday, while at St. John's Church, attending the
funeral of the late George M. Tibbits, he was again
attacked with the same malady, from which, however,
he rallied, but not sufficiently to enable a return to
business cares and duties. His last illness, the begin-
ning of which dates back several weeks, was of course
superinduced by apoplexy, but resulted in general
mental and physical prostration. For some days prior
— 24 —
to his death he was unable to articulate, and could
only make the members of his family understand his
wishes by means of signs and silent movements of the
Mr. Thompson was born in Amenia, Dutchess
County, December i, 1797, and was consequently in
the eighty-third year of his age. When a youth, his
father removed to Poughkeepsie, where he owned
about 300 acres of land in the vicinity of the site of
Vassar College, and until he was twenty years old,
— 181 7 — the deceased continued to reside there. In
1 81 7 the father lost all of his property by unfortunate
endorsements, and the son, who had been reared in
comparative luxury, was thrown upon his own re-
sources. He decided to begin his business life in
Troy, and coming to this city in the year above
named, entered the drug store of the late Dr. Samuel
Gale, then standing upon the site of the present store
of John L. Thompson, Sons & Co. His industry and
strict attention to business won for him the esteem of
Dr. Gale, and in 182 1 he was admitted to a partner-
ship in the firm, the name of which was changed to
Gale Sz Thompson. Dr. Gale had married a sister of
his associate in business, and a few years later the en-
terprise passed entirely under the control of Mr.
Thompson. About 1832, the old store becoming too
small for the increasing trade, the present four story
— 25 —
brick edifice was erected. In 1841, David Cowee, who
had been a clerk for Mr. Thompson a number of
years, became his partner, and in 1855, John I. and
William A. Thompson, sons of the deceased, also be-
came partners, the firm name being then changed to
John L. Thompson, Sons & Co., which it still remains,
although J. F. Cowee, a son of David Cowee, united
with the firm in 1869. For more than half a century
Mr. Thompson was engaged in business in this city,
and as a matter of course became largely identified
with the mercantile interests of Troy.
His career was one of continued success. Careful
in his investments, scrupulously honest in all things,
and respecting his word as he honored his bond,
fortune seldom frowned upon him or obscured the sky
of his prosperity with even the smallest cloud. Mr.
Thom])son was the first merchant in his family, all
the others having been farmers or professional men.
Mrs. Thompson survives her husband, who leaves a
family of eight children, namely : Mrs. Derick Lane,
John I., William A., George S., Eobert H., James L.,
the Rev. Walter, and E. Ray Thompson. The demise
of the father is the first death that has occurred in
this large family. A singular coincidence in connec-
tion with the life of the deceased is that it began in the
very year — 1797 — in which Dr. Gale established the
drug store on the site occupied by the building of
— 26 —
the present firm. When Mr. Thompson entered the old
store as clerk, his father, who took leave of him at the
street door, said to him, " My son, you may require a
little money before you earn any ; take this," handing
him a silver dollar. That was all the money the young
clerk possessed when he began life ; but his energy and
industry increased it a million fold. Politically Mr.
Thompson was a democrat of the Jeffersonian class, al-
though he never took very much interest in political af-
fairs, and never aspired to hold office. Mr. Thompson
was a constant attendant during the latter years of his
life at St. Paul's church, and always contributed liberally
to the cause of Christianity. He was an exemplary citi-
zen, and it may be said of him that during his long and
successful career no word of reproach was ever uttered
against him. Quiet and unostentatious, entirely devo-
ted to commercial affairs and to his family, seldom leav-
ing the city except on business, and then returning as
soon as possible, his life was largely passed amid the
surroundings of his office and the attractions of a re-
fined and cultivated home. He was a self-made man.
He had, it is true, the advantages of early education, but
when he made his first effort for himself he was almost
penniless, a silver dollar comprising his worldly posses-
sions. There is much in his life to commend; nothing
to condemn. He leaves an untarnished name, and in
his death Troy loses one of its most worthy citizens.
— 27 —
From the Troy Press of Monday, March 29, if
Died at the family residence in this city, Saturday, March 27th,
at 11.23 P. M., JOHN LELAND THOMPSON, in the 83d
year of his age.
John J.. Thompson was born December ist, 1797,
in Amenia, Dutchess County, N. Y. His ancestry is
traced to Anthony Thompson, of Coventry, England,
who arrived in Boston on board the ship Hector, in
company with Governor Eaton and Rev. Mr. Daven-
port, June 26th, 1637. Anthony Thompson had two
children. Then comes John Thompson, two children ;
Samuel Thompson, who married a daughter of Gov-
ernor Bishop of Connecticut, eight children ; Samuel
Thompson, three children ; Ezra Thompson, nine
children; Ezra Thompson, Jr., nine children; John
L. Thompson of Troy, who was married in August,
1829, to Mary P. Thompson of New London, Conn.,
and by whom he has had eight children.
The drug house in which Mr. Thompson was senior
partner was started by Samuel Gale, the father of Mr.
E. Thompson and John B. Gale, in 1797. In that
year Mr. Gale opened an apothecary store in a
frame building on the site of John L. Thompson, Sons
& Co.'s present store. His trade was general retail,
but occasionally he did a little in the jobbing line.
The business increased with the growth of the city,
and in 1817 John L. Thompson, Dr. Gale's brother-in-
law, coming from Poughkeepsie, was received into the
store as clerk. The great fire of 1820, which swept
away all the buildings on the west side of First street,
from the third house north of Congress street to the
junction with River street, also all the buildings on
both sides of River street nearly to Broadway, left
Gale's store with no other damage than a scorching
of the clapboards in the rear. Mr. Thompson became
a partner in 182 1, and the business was carried on for
some time under the firm name of Gale & Thompson.
In 1832 the old frame building wherein Dr. Gale
founded the business was torn down, and the four-
story structure No. 161 River street erected and occu-
pied by Mr. Thompson. David Cowee, who came to
this city from Westminster, Mass., was clerk in Mr.
Thompson's store from 1835 to 1841, when he became
a partner in the business, the firm being then styled
John L. Thompson Cv: Co. In 1855 John I. Thomp-
son and William A. Thompson, sons of the senior
partner in the firm, were received as partners and the
firm name changed to John L. Thompson, Sons & Co.
J. F. Cowee, son of David Covvee, became a partner
in 1869. The increase in business compelled the firm
to add the buildings Nos. 159 and 163 River street,
and at a later period required the erection of a large
warehouse in the rear of the buildings. The house is
one of the largest engaged in the drug trade between
New York and Chicago. There are customers in the
West also, but the firm has never taken any pains to
extend the business in that direction. The trade is
not exclusively in drugs, but includes many other ar
tides. The house is represented by a London agent
and in New York by a custom house broker. A large
proportion of the goods are shipi)ed from London and
Liverpool to New York, where they are disposed of
by being shipped to Troy, placed in the New York
store, or assigned direct to customers.
Mr. Thompson held many positions of honor and
responsibility. He was president of the Troy and
Greenbush Railroad, governor of the Marshall Infirm-
ary, manager of the Troy Savings Bank and director
of the United National Bank. He never held a polit-
ical office, though often urged to do so, but took a
lively interest in political matters. The day of Mr.
George M. Tibbits' funeral, July 22, 1878, he was
taken from St. John's church to his home, where he
shortly afterwards suffered a paralytic stroke. He had
a shock of a similar nature some ten years ago, from
which he recovered.
From the last shock he never fully recovered, but
lingered an invalid, confined to his house, with disease
and old age sapping the foundations of life until at
last the end came and death freed the spirit from its
mortal tenement, and John L. Thompson is no more
and naught remains but the memories of the kindly
acts of his life. The children of John L. Thompson
are John I. Thompson, William A. Thompson, Rev.
Walter Thompson, George S. Thompson, Robert H.
Thompson, James L. Thompson, E. Ray Thompson
and Mrs. Derick Lane.
The funeral of Mr. Thompson will take place from
St. Paul's church at ii o'clock to-morrow morning.
The family invite the merchants of the city to attend.
From the Troy Morning Whig of March 31, 1880.
Ei)t dfuneral of Joljn it. OTjompisott
The obsequies of John L. Thompson were held at
St. Paul's church, in this city, yesterday morning, at
eleven o'clock. The main floor of the edifice was
filled with an audience representative of the intelli-
gence, the mercantile ability, and the worth of Troy.
Of the clergymen of the city and vicinity, scattered
among the congregation, were to be seen the Rev.
Peter Havermans, the Rev. George C. Baldwin, D. D.,
the Rev. Richard Temple, the Rev. Jacob A. Prime,
the Rev. James Caird, and the Rev. Donald Mac-
Gregor. At the appointed hour, the clergy to whom
was committed the charge of the burial office, together
with the surpliced choristers, meeting the body at the
church entrance, preceded it, while the Rev. Frank L.
Norton read the solemn sentence beginning : " I am
the resurrection and the life." The body, which had
been taken from the late residence of Mr. Thompson
to the hearse, by his sons, was borne into the church
by men who had been for a long time in his service.
Then followed the relatives, some most intimate
friends, and the employes of the deceased. The ef-
fective singing of the anthem was succeeded by the
reading of the lesson by the Rev. Pelham Williams.
Then was sung the sentence beginning, " I heard a
voice," after which came the thoroughly suggestive
hymn beginning :
" Weary of earth and laden with my sin."
The creed and prayers were read by the Rev.
Francis Harison, D. D., and the benediction was pro-
nounced by the Right Rev. William Croswell Doane,
the bishop of this diocese. While the cortege was
passing from the church, the choristers sang the hymn,
" Abide with me ; fast falls the eventide,"
the soothing creation of that genuine Christian lyrical
poet, the Rev. H. F. Lyte. As the congregation left,
the singing of Taber's hymn,
" O Paradise, O Paradise, who doth not crave for rest,"
ended the services at the church. The Rev. J. Ireland
Tucker, D. D., participated in the service, with the
bishop and clergy above named. Some of the decora-
tions of Easter still remained in the chancel, the sug-
gestive emblems of the counterpart of the funeral
occasion. The arrangements at the funeral were in the
charge of G. Parish Ogden and H. C. Lockwood, who
were aided by W. H. Metcalf and F. T. Buell. The
remains were deposited in Oakwood cemetery.
lS:ei80luticin!3 of iSit^mtt
At a special meeting of the Governors of the Mar-
shall Infirmary, held March 30, 1880, the President
announced the death of John L. Thompson, a member
of the Board, when the following memorandum was
adopted and placed on the records of the Board:
John Leland Thompson, one of the Governors of
the Marshall Infirmary, died in Troy, on Saturday,
March 27, 1880, in the eighty-third year of his age.
During a business career in this city, extending over a
period of nearly sixty-three years, he maintained a
character in which high integrity, sound judgment and
practical common sense were so happily united, that
his life as a merchant was marked, step by step, with
good results, and was crowned at its close with de-
As a citizen the prosperity and growth of this muni-
cipality were watched and aided by him in many ways,
while in the more private walks of life he exemplified
the gracious principles of religion and virtue.
To the welfare of the Marshall Infirmary he gave
the influence of his own upright and sympathetic na-
ture, and seconded the efforts of those who were con-
nected with him in its government, to maintain its
usefulness and prosperity.
As a mark of our respect fro his memory, we will
attend his funeral, and will cause a copy of this ex-
pression of our thoughts to be sent to his family.
R, H. V/ARD,
John Leland Thompson. Died Easter Eve, March 27, 1880.
Ilis spirit passed from earth away
On the eve of glorious Easter Day,
Christ's resurrection morn.
And while for him ye truly weep,
Ye would not wake from blessed sleep
One who to God hath gone.
A sire revered — a husband loved —
In Friendship, true — in honor, proved —
By all who knew him best ;
A life unstained — a Christian death —
Love cannot twine a purer wreath
To lay upon his breast.
It was a blessed time to die !
With Heaven's Angel minstrelsy
To join in sweet accord !
To quit his prison-house of clay,
And with the dawning Easter Day
To gieet the Risen Lord,
Easter^ 1880. Eloise H. Thatcher.
— 37 —
Shipping and Commercial List, Tuesday, March 30, 1880.
The death of Mr. John L. Thompson, senior mem-
ber of the firm of John L. Thompson, Sons & Co.,
wholesale druggists, of Troy, New York, and an old
patron of the Shipping List, took place on the 27th
inst. Deceased had attained to the age of eighty-three
years, and was one of the oldest members of the drug
trade in the State, or the United States, having been
in business in the same location since June, 181 7, dur-
ing which period he had borne a high reputation lor
integrity and loyalty to the correct principles of every-
April 7, 1880.
Messrs. J. L. Thompson, Sons «&: Co., [
Troy, N. Y. \
Dear Sirs — By your letter of the 29th ult., we are
informed of the death of your estimable senior, Mr.
John L. Thompson.
While offering an expression of our sympathy for
your own serious bereavement, we are impressed with
the importance of this loss to the profession, of which
he was, for so many years, a worthy and honored rep-
His own business circle cannot fail to miss the pre-
sence of one who possessed the confidence and regard
of his fellows to an unusual degree, while the com-
munity at large will suffer from the absence of an
exemplary and respected citizen.
With kind regard,
We remain, very truly yours,
Chas. T. White & Co.
— 39 —
2S'] Pearl Street, New York, April 3, 1880.
Messrs. John L. Thompson, Sons & Co., )
Troy, N. Y. \
Dear Sirs— We have just read, in the papers, a
brief account of the life and death of your senior
partner, and the founder of your house
Although his departure was, perhaps, long antici-
pated, it must bring its sorrow to his family and leave
a gap in your community.
There is in his long life and good example, every-
thing to cheer and animate those of us who remain.
Permit us to extend our sincere and heartfelt sym-
pathy, and express the hope that we, who now occupy,
as it were, the "front rank," may leave the savor of as
good a life behind us.
Yours, very respectfully,
Robert Colgate & Co.
Boston, April j, 1880.
Gentlemen — We are sorry to see that so good a
man as ^Ir. Thompson has passed onward, yet he was
ripe for the harvest and his good "past" is worthy the
example of those who fill his place.
Cheney & Myrick.
K Of ^