WITHIN THE LIMITS OF
Site of Giles Corey's House. In the triangle west of the West Peahody Sta-
tion and north of Pine Street. Giles Corey died Sept. 19th, 1092.
He was the only victim of the Witchcraft delusion who was pressed to
Site of John Procter's House. 348 Lowell Street. A victim of the Witch-
craft delusion. Hanged, Aug. 19th, 1692.
This house was built by Emanuel Downing and occupied by him 1638-
1652. Occupied by Flint family and Roger Preston, 1652-1666.
Site occupied by Proctor family 1666-1890.
South Meeting House. Peabody Square, opposite Railroad Station. Fourth
building on site of the first and only church in town from 1711 to 1825. Par-
sonage 34 Main Street. First minister, Rev. Benj. Prescott, 1712-1756, who
built the " Prescott house," so called, 92 Central Street, about 1750.
Prescott burial lot opposite 7 Tremont Street.
Old South Burying Ground. Main Street, next to the Salem line. Burial
place of Revolutionary Soldiers and many prominent citizens of the town.
Among these ai'e Rev. Nathan Holt, Rev. Samuel Walker, Major Caleb
Lowe, Dennison Wallis, Roger Derby, Jones Very.
Lexington Monument. Main Street at junction of Washington Street.
Dedicated April 19th, 1835, in memory of the Danvers Soldiers who died in
the Battle of Lexington. Opposite monument at 84 and 86 Main Street, is
site of the home of " Bethiah Southwick," whose " heart outran her creed "
when she fed the soldiers of the Revolution.
Site of "Bell Tavern." S. E. corner of Main and Washington Streets. "At
the crotch of the Road near Francis Symonds' " (landlord of the Bell Tav-
ern), was the official meeting place of the soldiers of 1775. A watch, also,
of 13 men, was stationed here "every night."
"In" "next" and "near the Bell Tavern" was E. Russell's Printing
Tress, the first in town, 1777-1781.
Gen. Gideon Foster. Leader of the Danvers men in Battle of Lexington.
Was horn in a house " on f . W. corner of Foster and Lowell.''
His "chocolate mill" was "over the brook in Foster street," near Little's
mill. He died at 142 Lynnlield Street.
"Wallis House. 60 Main Street. Built by Denuison Wallis about 1810.
He was one of those wounded in the Battle of Lexington, and founder of
the Wallis School fund.
Bowditch House. 121 Central Street. Nathaniel Hovvditch, the " Naviga-
tor," came here to live hi 1775 and spent several years of his life, receiving
from the Misses Osborne, in a house opposite, his first schooling.
Born Mar. 20, 1773— Died Mar. 16, 1838.
Benedict Arnold. Route of Benedict Arnold's army through this town
Sept. 13th and 14th, 1775, was along the old " Ipswich Road," now Lynn,
County, Summit, Lowell, Prospect and Sylvan Streets.
LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
014 079 132 5
George Peabody's Birthplace. 205 Washington Street. Born here Feb. 18th,
1795. Died in London, Nov. 4, 18G9.
Site of Sylvester Procter's Drug Store. 33 Main Street. Where George
Peabody first worked as a boy.
Peabody Institute. Main Street. Gift of George Peabody, June 16, 1852.
Opened to public, Oct., 1854.
Sutton Library, founded by Mrs. Eliza Sutton, Oct. 15, 1866.
Rufus Choate. 65 Main Street. Rufus Choate first went to housekeeping
here. At 37 Main Street was his First Law Office.
Soldiers' Monument. Peabody Square. Dedicated 1881 in memory of our
soldiers who were killed in the war of the Rebellion.
"The Green in front of the Old South Meeting House" has been the
meeting place of various military organizations of this town.
Gen. Grenville M. Dodge. 34 Main Street. Gen'l Dodge lived here about
Room of Peabody Historical Society. Warren Bank Building. Peabody
Sqviare. Open every Monday afternoon from 2.30 to 5 o'clock.
LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
1 1 ill ii in i iip 111 1 iii mil
014 079 132 5 Q