(navigation image)
Home American Libraries | Canadian Libraries | Universal Library | Community Texts | Project Gutenberg | Children's Library | Biodiversity Heritage Library | Additional Collections
Search: Advanced Search
Anonymous User (login or join us)
Upload
See other formats

Full text of "Three historic home walking paths in Iron Mountain"

jrC 






ltn'ln| J iiSW.Tr, PUBLIC LIBRARY 




3 1833 02865 5626 



Gc 977.402 Ir6c 
Cumm ings, Bill. 
Three historic home walking 
paths in I r o n M o u ntai n 



% 



%l S t o f/ 



\ % \*l»* '~ # 



'a! 



^"^ 



m. 



^# ^ 







JOHN T. JONES RESIDENCE. BUILT IN i?90 



Ifoa Mountain 



This is a walk-by tour only. The 
interiors of the homes and their 
grounds are not open to the public. 



T hroe Historic Ho m e Wal ki ng Path? in Iron Mountain 

The homes described in this booklet are repre- 
sentative of the architectural styles prevalent in 
i on Mountain from its birth through the early years 
of the twentieth century. Homes selected were chosen 
mainly due to the architectural purity they have main- 
tained through the years. Many of these homes also 
belonged to people who played an important role in the 
development of Iron Mountain. 

Space did not permit the inclusion of all archi- 
tecturally significant homes in Iron Mountain, an^ 
while walking on the three paths, you will note other 
worthy examples of early architecture. 

None of the homes are open. The tours herein 
described are only "walk-by" tours. Permission 
has been granted by the present owners of these houses 
for people to walk by and admire them, but none of the 
homes or their grounds are open to the public for 
inspection. Please honor the commitment made with 
these home owners to insure the success of future 
home tours in our area. 

Walking path "A" is on the East Side of the City, 
paths "B" and "C" on the West Side. The last house 
on the tour, under the heading "miscellaneous" (see 
back cover), is isolated from the walking paths but 
was felt to be too significant to be excluded from 
this pamphlet. 



Sponsored by The Dickinson County Library 
and The Menominee Range Historical Foundation 

Museum 



Produced by Bill Cummings and Dave Curtis 

900 Webs ttiee 

PC 



Acknowledgments 



Mid-Peninsula Library Cooperative 
Rembrandt Studios 
Renee Augustine 
Beatrice Blomquist 



PATH A: 

403 East Ludington Street 

Built in the spring of 1884 by Dr. J. Addison 
Crowell and his wife Leonora, this residence is 
still occupied by one of their daughters, Jeanette 
and a granddaughter, Leonora. Dr. Crowell and 
his wife came to Iron Mountain in 1882, the doctor, 
the second in the city, working with Dr. J. D. 
Cameron first at the Chapin Hospital and then in 
partnership in the St. George's Hospital, con- 
structed in 1889. The Romanesque-style structure 
has a first floor constructed of Amberg granite, 
the same granite used in the construction of the 
Hulst School built in 1892 at the top of the hill on 
Madison Avenue. The second and attic stories 
have shingled walls. A magnificent porch em- 
bellished with spindles and constructed of Amberg 
granite dominates the facade with a balcony with 
a semi-circular opening resting atop the porch 
roofline. The pediment over the porch stairway 
and the space between the double window on the 
second story of the front bay are ornamented with 
bas relief carvings painted dark blue for accent. 
The pediment atop the bay contains an elliptical 
window, and two dormers flanking the west 
pediment overlook the city. Beveled leaded 
glass windows appear in the parlor, sitting room 
and dining room. The double front door leads 
into a vestibule and then into the reception room 
complete with a splendid oak bookcase/fireplace. 
'The granite hitching posts with iron tether rings 
are still in place near the street. The original 
carriage block with CROWELL carved on the 
front is now on the west side of the house. This 
home is the first Iron Mountain residence to be 
listed as a Michigan State Historic Site. 



411 East "B" Street 

Built a round the turn of the century, the Henry 
Levy home exhibits many characteristics found in the 
Victorian Queen Anne style. An enclosed balcony 
showing Turkish or Moorish influence occupies the 
second story of the turret, complete with baluster- 
turned supports and gingerbread cutouts. The hip 
roof and the protruding double window on the second 
floor with quarter sunbursts flanking the windows on 
the gable and at the base of the extension are original 
characteristics of the house. Mr. Levy, a local 
merchant, ; ived here with his wife Celia for many 
years, and his name is incised in the front sidewalk. 
Mr. Levy owned and operated the Mandel Levy 
Company, later the Levy-Unger Company, located 
in the present Western Auto building on Stephenson 
Avenue, carrying a complete line of general 
merchandise. 



817, 821, 825 and 829 East "B" Street 

These four houses were moved to their present 
site from the vicinity of the Iron Mountain Football 
Stadium in the Lawndale Addition on the lower west 
side. At the time the Pewabie Mine was operating 
in the carl\ decades of the 1900's when E. F. Brown 
was part owner, the houses were occupied respec- 
tively by: 8!7-Charles Bohman, a master mechanic; 
S21-Morri<- Oanielson (name later changed to Donald- 
••on), a foreman of the blacksmith shop; 825-Edward 
Lord, :i :r:inc captain, and Charles Mattson, a shift 
Uo^^\ and 82 9- John Olson, who worked in the mini; 
laboratory. Moving houses was a frequent under - 
i a king in the early days of Iron Mountain, when 
land was shifting at times due to mining operations. 
Phe homes retain many of their original architec- 
tural features, such as the bay window and fan 
window on the facade, linking them with the Car- 
penter Gothic- style. Notice that all four are con- 
structed from the same basic plan. 



837 East "B" Street 

This building was constructed by the Pewabic 
Mining Company in 1893 as a hospital for its empifcu*.: 
and their families. Two two-story bays dominate 
north and west sides of the structure which was oiir,.- 
nally covered with clapboard siding. The porch anci 
door on the east side of the house served as the 
hospital entrance. This porch retains its turned pcjr.v, 
and the latticework, accentuated with spindles and 
scrolled brackets. The front porch, which did not 
extend to the east end of the house originally, was 
similarly ornamented. Dr. James Ashlev Gangs ana 
his wife, Mrs. Bessie (Hosking) Wood, resided with 
their family in the west portion of the structure when 
the building was used as the mine's hospital. Dr. 
Bangs came to Iron Mountain from Ironwood, Mich 
in April, 1893, and died in 1915, having served as oi^e 
of the area's earliest doctors. 



700 East "C" Street 

Even though this structure has been taste- 
fully enlarged in keeping with the original archi- 
tectural style, this home remains an excellent 
area example of the Victorian Carpenter Gothic 
style, set off by a magnificently landscaped garden. 
The front porch r..:zi is supported by two groups of 
three turned pot &-, and the bay on the west side is 
ornamented with recessed wainscotting on both top 
and bottom. The original house was constructed 
in the 1890*8, An early owner of the home was J. A. 
Sundstrom, a hardware merchant. A later owner 
was Abraham Buchman of Buchman's Drug Store. 



a 



(>(• 



401 East M C" Street 

Built by Dr. John D. Cameron and his wife in 
1898, this gracious home in the Victorian Queen 
Anne style has been maintained as it originally looked 
by I'.k second owners. The facade is dominated by a 
tremendous curved front porch, with fluted Doric 
capitals and a magnificent spindle-turned railing. 
An egg- and- dart molding ornaments the cornice area 
f the porch, A two-story truncated turret is located 
a the northwest corner, and the front dormer em- 
hes the hip roof with three windows separated by 
Ionic pilasters, and with paired pilasters at each 
corner. A three-story bay on the west side boasts a 
w'uccsscd three-paneled window in the third story 
flanked by short Doric columns. Exquisite stained 
gj-iss windows light the library, dining room, re- 
ception hall and staircase. Dr. Cameron and his 
wife arrived in Iron Mountain in 1882, the doctor 
being the first to practice in the newly-formed 
community. He and his partner, Dr. J. Addison 
Crowell, served as doctors for die Chapin'Mine 
Hospital, and in 1889 opened the St. George's 
Hospital, the area's first public hospital, on 
Merritt Avenue near Flcshiem Street. Dr. Cameron 
died in the early 1900's, and Mrs. Cameron main- 
tained the house alone for forty years. She had the 
home painted dark green, and often said she would 
like: to paint it black, but lacked the courage. 



PATH B: 



50 1 Kent Street 

This house, one of the earliest in Iron 
Mountain, was built in the early ISSO's by Gust Blixt, 
an early miner, and his wife Tilda. The house is 
architecturally patterned after the traditional New 
England saltbox houses. The building was restored 
in 1975 by Jeff Mitchell, then a building trades 
major at Michigan Technological University, follow- 
ing guidelines set up by the Menominee Range 
Historical Foundation Museum. 



106 North Carpenter 

Even though this structure has been remodeled 
to serve as a private dining club, the Chippewa 
Club, the architectural features it retains and its 
role in Iron Mountain's history make it significant. 
The two -story structure is capped by a hip roof, 
and exhibits elements of Queen Anne style. Two 
triple window dormers overlook the city on the 
east and south sides. The dormer windows are 
flanked by pilasters and their pediments are 
surfaced with fish-scale shingles. Egg-and-dart 
type molding embellish the windows. A spectacuku' 
stained-^lass window lights the stairway. The 
house was originally built in 1898-99 by the Chapin 
Mining Company as the general manager'^- home. 
The house was first occupied by James Mc Naughtcn 
and, after his resignation in 1901, by 0. C. 
Davidson. 

518 '-'est Brown Street 

John Russell and his wife Marion Rurdon built 
this fine example of Carpenter Gothic in 1898. The 
facade i? dominated by a front porch which also 
extends across a part of the east wall, with turned 
supports ornamented with scrolled brackets and a 
spindle-turned railing. The gables are covered with 
fish scale cedar shingles and low wooden pyramidal 
squares level with the roofline accentuate the front 
gable. The parlor boasts a sunburst stained glass 
window. Mr. Russell came to Iron Mountain in 
about 1890 from Chicago, where he worked for a 
grocery firm. He was sent here to take over a 
failing grocery business in debt to his employers, 
but, due to his Iovl for fishing and hunting, he 
bought the business instead. His general store 
was located on the corner of Merritt Avenue and 
Brown St'-'ee., and was the first brick building in 
Iron Mountain. Since his store was located near 
the St. Paul railroad tracks, he sold grain and 
feed wholesale directly from the boxcars. Mrs. 
Russell was the first principal of the Chapin School. 
The Rvssells raised two daughters, Adelaide and 
Jean, Adelaide Russell still resides in the home 
in which she grew up. 



604 West Brown Street 

Built in about 1890 by Herbert Armstrong, this 
home exemplifies the Queen Anne Style, and also 
exhibits some of the Swiss Chalet motifs which often 
appear in Victorian architecture. The facade and 
the east side of the home are dominated by two- 
story bays, the corners of which are ornamented 
by brackets with ball turnings as finials at the 
second story floor level. Two leaded glass windows 
grace the front entrance, and another is located 
in the parlor. A stained glass window is contained 
in the lower window of the east bay. The gables 
are covered with fish-scale cedar shingles, and the 
hip roof also exemplifies the Queen Anne styling, 
ornamented with finials at the gable peaks and 
smaller ornamentation along the roofline. The 
home is surrounded by the original wrought iron 
fence. Mr. Armstrong was a lumberman and 
surveyor, and is credited as being the man who 
encouraged E. G. Kingsford to come to the Iron 
Mountain area as a timber cruiser. Of course, 
Mr. Kingsford was the man who brought Henry Ford 
to this area, his wife being Mr. Ford's cousin. Mr. 
Armstrong developed and sold lots in the Brown 
Street area in the 1890's. The home was later owned 
by the William Cudlip family. When he died on 
September 24, 1952, he was the oldest living 
resident of Iron Mountain, as he came here with 
his family in 1879. Mr. Cudlip worked for the 
Morris and Company, meatpackers, as a salesman 
and later manager in this area. He was president 
of the First National Bank from the mid-1920's 
until his death. His wife, Luella Byrnes, was one 
of the original teachers of the first Central School 
in Iron Mountain, 



614 West Brown Street 

An example of Carpenter Gothic, the Dr. S. 
Edwin Cruse home has a turret with a turned finial 
reigning over the facade, and was built in the early 
1900's. A small amount of gingerbread ornamen- 
tation sets off the gables in the front and east sides, 
The windows are ornamented with a bullseye and 
bracket combination at the upper corners. The 
house is surrounded by the original wrought iron 
fence. Dr. Cruse bought the Lake Antoine Hotel 
in 1896, converting the building into a hospital for 
woodsmen, known as the Emergency Hospital. 
Until this hospital was established, injured woods- 
men were transported in cold baggage cars to 
Menominee or Marinette for treatment. 



701 West Brown Street 

Built near the turn of the century, this Carpenter 
Gothic home retains most of its original architectural 
details, including the Chinese influence of the lattice 
work on the front stoop, which also maintains its 
original turned posts ant 1 scrolled brackets. The 
brackets which ornament the bay on the east side of 
the house are reminiscent of the Swiss Chalet styling, 
complete with the turned ball on the end of each 
bracket. The frc''- jfoor has much applied machine- 
carved wooden decoration and a magnificent red- 
stained f •Uerr.ed glass panel. Carl Sundstrorh, a 
clerk Tor Ax,.' ..rson and Sundstrom, was an early 
resident (1902), as was Gustaf Bandt, a miner (1913). 



PATH C: 



501 West "B" Street 

Exemplifying Carpenter Gothic, this house, 
built in the early 1890's, was the residence of 
Nathaniel B. Parmalee. Remaining architectural 
details include the use of wainscotting for pattern 
in the north and east gabies and the decorative 
molding at the top of the second story window in 
the front. Mr. Parmalee was an early contractor 
and builder in the area, having erected some of the 
most substantial business blocks and residences to 
be found in the Upper Peninsula. He erected the 
Methodist Episcopal Church at the Chapin Mine 
location in 1881, which was the first structure 
built for a church within the Iron Mountain city 
limits and which still stands at the corner of 
Fourth and Chapin Streets. 



520 West "B" Street 

Originally built as a one- story cottage before 
the turn of the century by Jay W. Hoose, this 
house was remodeled in about 1910, incorporating 
the original front porch into the main structure 
and adding a second story. The front gable has 
a Palladian window, found in many Queen Anne 
and Colonial Revival homes, and the east gable 
has a demilune window. Notice the carriage 
porch on the east side of the building. Mr. Hoose 
came to Iron Mountain in 1889 from Berlin, 
Wisconsin, and married Gussie Olson in 1898. 
Mr. Hoose was a jobber and horse dealer, and 
also worked on railroad construction and logging. 
Their daughter, Thelma Flodin, still resides in 
the house. 



300 West "C" Street 

One of the oldest remaining homes in Iron 
Mountain, the George Frederick Seibert home, 
built in 1885, is one of the better examples of 
Carpenter Gothic in the city. Although the house 
has undergone some remodeling, the original porch's 
turned posts and spindle railings being replaced 
with Doric columns and dormers added, the bay 
window on the east side of the home with its paired 
scrolled brackets helps convey the flavor of true 
Carpenter Gothic along with the fantastic Moorish 
or Turkish style spindle gingerbread surrounding 
the enclosed balcony opening on the east side of the 
house. A dentated molding accentuates the curved 
outline of the balcony area. Mr. Seibert traveled 
to the area from Menominee in 1879, and can truely 
be considered, along with his wife Margaret, one 
of the earliest pioneers in Iron Mountain. Mr. 
Seibert, with his partner, Mr. Schaller, established 
the first drug store here in 1882 at the corner of 
Brown Street and Stephenson Avenue. This building 
was destroyed by fire, and Mr. Seibert then 
established another drug store on his own at the 
corner of Stephenson Avenue and Hughitt Street, a 
longtime landmark in the community. 

217 West "E" Street 

Built as a wedding gift to Dr. Henry Newkirk 
and his bride Mary by her parents, Mr. and Mrs. 
Patrick Flanagan, in 1908, this home is an example 
of the Colonial Revival style which came into vogue 
around the turn of the century and lasted until 
World War I. Mr. Flanagan was the president of 
the Sagola Lumber Company, and the house was 
built from lumber that was milled in Sagola. The 
facade includes three dormers, a protruding double 
window on the second floor over the entrance and 
Palladian windows in the gable ends. The cornice 
is dentated, as are the smaller cornice areas in 
the entry, the door of which is flanked by side- 
lights. Note the symmetrical balance found in this 
facade. There are two dormers on the rear side 
of the roof. The original interior light fixtures, 
which are no longer in the house, were designed 
by Charles Tiffany. 



1102 Carpenter Avenue 

Another example of Carpenter Gothic, this home, 
built prior to the turn of the century, shows elaborate 
scroll work on the gable of the facade, fish-scale 
cedar shingles in the gables, brackets at the corner 
of the bay and decorative cutout scroll work on either 
side of the central bay window. The home was owned 
by John Bond, the originator of what is now Bond 
Decorating. L. J. Will, the jeweler and watchmaker, 
was also an owner of the home. 

MISCELLANEOUS 

703 Grand Boulevard (North Side) 

The John T. Jones residence is an outstanding 
example of the Victorian Queen Anne style and was 
built in 1890. The house has a hip roof, and the 
facade is dominated by a spectacular turret with 
a conical roof topped with a turned finial. Originally 
the facade was embellished with bracket scrolls under 
the gable ends. The original porch was removed and 
replaced by the present structure which is supported 
by Doric columns. A friend of John T. Jones once 
described the home on Lake Antoine as "a large 
house full of little rooms — and moose heads. " The 
Jones estate consisted of 140 acres originally, and 
bordered Lake Antoine. More than one thousand 
fruit trees comprised the orchard, and native trees 
of all sorts graced the grounds near the house. 
In addition to the main house, the complex boasted 
a greenhouse built from glass used in the gondola 
cars from the original Ferris Wheel which was 
exhibited at the 1893 Columbian Exposition in 
Chicago. A tunnel connected the main house with 
his son's home next door. Mr. Jones came to 
Iron Mountain in 1883 with his wife, Rachel 
Miiligan. He was the superintendent of the 
Kimberly mines throughout the Upper Peninsula. 
An inventor and innovator, Jones built the 
Ardis Furnace here in 1909, named after his 
daughter, one of seven children, for smelting iron 
ore. The ruins of this furnace are a National 
Historic Site and are located north on U. S. 2 
near the road to Lake Antoine and the Jones 
residence. 



CO 







HECKMAN 

BINDERY INC. 



OCT 96 



Bound -To-Pleas^ N. MANCHESTER 
INDIANA 46962