Skip to main content
1626792 ; ♦
3 1833 01052 5639
AN ILLUSTRATED DESCRIPTION OF
AND THE MEN WHO HAVE BUILT THEM.
♦fl/^ F^STLING cosily upon either bank of the
11^ Cass, where once the Indian stalked the
forest path and the red deer slaked his
thirst nearly half a century ago, stands today
the thriving town of Vassar. It is not the purpose
of this modest little book to turn back the musty
leaves of life's calendar, and recount the trials of
pioneer days in this city's history, but to give the
outside public the story of Vassar " as it is today."
When we turn aside from the picturesque beauty of
her environment, and look upon her commercial
strength and importance, the advantages that sh:
offers to the man who wants to build a home, the
air of thrift and refinement that prevades her business
places, her importance as a railway point, as a manu-
facturing town, and as a cultured atmosphere in
which to rear the youth, it is not wonderful that her
growth has been both strong and lasting.
Vassar's policy in things educational has always
been of the broadest sort and characterized by the
greatest liberality. The fruits of the wise and salu-
tary methods that have been carried forward from
year to year, have never been made so conspicuously
manifest as under the present regime. As an illus-
tration of the thoroughness of the course obtained
in the Vassar High School, and that the system
employed has recognition among the best colleges,
it is only necessary to state that graduates from
Vassar are admitted to the Michigan University
without examination, and to any college in the state,
and the advance standing in the State Normal at
Ypsilanti and Agricultural College at Lansing. The
steady advance of our schools is shown by the statis-
tics for the past eight years under the supervision
of Prof. Ira L. Forbes: In 1886-7, the enrollment
in all the departments was 437 and the average daily
attendance 257. During the present year, with but
slight increase in the school census, the enrollment
is 439 with an average attendance of 354, showing an
increase of about 50 in enrollment and 100 in daily
attendance. This increase is found largely in the
High School. In former years the enrollment was
50 and the average daily attendance 37. For the
present year the enrollment has been 115 and the
attendance 77, an increase in each of more than 100
per cent. This increase required and received an
increase in the teaching force.
vassar's water supply.
The supply of water that is furnished by the
Holly system for private use and manufacting pur-
poses is without a peer in any city of equal size in
the state of Michigan. Nine flowing wells of pure,
sparkling water furnishing, according to the analyt-
ical test of the State Board of Health, the most per-
fect article for domestic use that it is possible to
obtain. This is a sanitary item that is worth framing.
Physicians whose opinions carry weight, say that it
was owing to the source of pure water supply that
Vassar was spared the epidemic of typhoid and other
fevers that have ravaged many Michigan towns this
year. In addition to the power obtained from the
city system of waterworks for use in factories, excep-
tional facilities for milling and other purposes is to
be had from the dam in the Cass river at this point.
A mammoth flowing spring possessing curative pro-
perties that rival those of Mt. Clemens and Alma,
is located a stone's throw from the railway statio'ns.
Although this water is bottled here and sold in many
sections of the state, it has never received the adver-
tising that has pushed it prominently before the
VASSAR S INDUSTRIES.
Page after page ot this book would be required
to detail the various industries that thrive and give
employment to hundreds of her citizens. The city's
location as a railway center, the cheapness of fuel
and power make it pos?ib'e for the manufacturer of
almost anything at the smallest possible outlay, and
a market for the goods. Who has not heard of Vas-
sar flannels? Who has not heard of Vassar brick?
Who has not heard of Vassar flour? Not many in
Michigan, we think. During the year 1S95, the
milling firm of M. and C. Miller handled 100,000
bushels of wheat at their mills here. Upwards of
2ri,000 bushels of corn, :ir.,nOO bushels of barley, 00,000
bushels of oats, and 10,000 bushels of buckwheat
brought the highest market price at their elevators.
numbers. His bed and table factory, started two
years ago, gives employment to 12 or 15 men, and
turns out an article that has within the past six
months tested the capacity of the factory. Having
no traveling salesmen other than the goods them
selves, and in placing large consignments through
out twenty-five different states, it speaks volumes
that furniture can be made much cheaper and that
the raw material is more accessible here than at any
other point in the 'Thumb" of Michigan.
The Vassar Brick & Tile Company, that hsfs
been in existence for six years past, is composed of
F. Miller and C. O. Evans. They employ from 35
to 40 men and have a capacity of 3,000,000 brick and
.100,000 tile. Anything from 2% to 8 inch tile is
made. The quality of the goods this firm market is
When you figure 875,000 paid out by this firm dur-
ing 1S95. to the farmers of this county it means that
most of this money is spent among the business
houses. The capacity of this mill is 300 barrels of
flour per day. The Cooper shop will turn out from
400 to 500 finished barrels per day.
During the present year Frank Miller shipped
from his warehouse in Vassar 80,000 bushels of
potatoes, 40,000 bushels of oats, 00 000 bushels of
barley and 23,000 bushels of corn. In addition to
these enormous figures he handled upwards of SO, 000
pounds of marketable wool. His 'aw mill at this
point cut nearly 3,000,000 feet of lumber, and gave
good wages to 50 hands. It will surprise the average
reader to stop and thinlc that this mean^ the pay roll
ior the closing year fogt.s up $10,000.00 in round
attested by the fact that the contractors on the
Lapeer home for the feeble minded were compelled
to use Vassar outside brick in building because of its
vast superiority over anything obtainable. Ship-
ments from this company to Saginaw, Detroit, Bay
City and other Michigan cities show the possibilities
in this business.
In 1808 the Vassar Woolen Mills began opera-
tions. At first wool carding and cloth dressing con-
stituted the business of the mill, but the product of
the concern was gradually extended to the manufac-
ture of yarns, cloth, etc., until at the present day
nearly everything that can be made in woolen goods
is turned out. During the past year the business of
this institution was upwards of §100,000.00, which
means that the wool-growers of the county were paid
a whole lot of money. Thirty-five to forty men and
girls are given employment here year in and year
out. The officers of the company are T. W. Atwood,
President; C. T. Jarvis, Vice President; J. G. Seldcn,
Secretary and Treasurer. The reputation of this
company's product is everywhere in Michigan a
synonym for high and honest value. The " Vassar
Blanket," "Vassap Skirt," "Vassar Cassimeres,"
" Vassar Yarns," are household words in every
hamlet in Michigan.
Parker's Foundry & Machine Shops is one of
the growing industries of Vassar. " Parker's Plows,"
turn the rich loam of many a Michigan farm every
year, and " Parker's Sleighs" jog smoothly along a
large number of Michigan roads every winter. Al-
though the shipments of this concern have increased
VASSAR S FIRE PROTECTION.
Almost the hardest thing that small towns have
to contend with is ability to keep fire within safe
bounds. In Vassar this important item has received
proper encouragement. The city council appropri-
ates $2.00 per man for each response to an alarm,
thereby giving something more substantial than in-
dividual pride in turning out. The No. 1 hose com-
pany is composed of fourteen men, acting under the
direction of Fire Chief William Grant, and they are
as well trained and consistent a lot of men as ever
donned the red shirt and helmet. In addition to the
hose reels, they have a hook and ladder equipment
for use in cases of emergency.
The city obtains her light from two electric
over thirty per cent during the past year in the face
of the stringent condition of the country the business
will be run on a larger scale during the coming year.
The Vassar Pump Company, owned and oper-
ated by D. C. Atkins and Son, does a nice, profitable
business down on River street. During the summer
months they give work to a large number of men and
manufacture all kinds of force, suction and chain
pumps, tanks and cisterns.
dynamos capable of running two hundred and fifty
incandescent and forty arc lights. The light for
private use is obtained from the same source at a
figure that is considerable lower than the cost of oil
lamps. During the past year the city has undergone
a series of improvements on the east as well as on
the west side. Huron avenue has been macadamized,
stone and cement side walks laid on the business
streets, and outlying avenues opened and graded.
Dassaic's Business flbcn
Among the pioneers of Vassar there is
no one better known or more universally
respected than Hon. B. W. Huston. He
was born in Rochester, N. Y., in 1881,
and came to Ypsilanti with his parents
at the age of five years. He was educat-
ed at Ypsilanti, and admitted to the bar
at Ann Arbor in September, 18.')4, and
B. W..HU3T0\. ,
came to Vassar in March, 1855. In 1858
he was elected Prosecuting Attorney, in
1867 a member of the Constitutional Con-
vention, a member of the state House of
Representatives in 1869-1871, and a mem-
ber of the Senate in 1879. Mr. Huston
was a Democrat until the rebellion, when
he laid politics aside to keep until the war
was over, and entered the service in 1862
as Captain of Company B, '2.3rd Regiment
Michigan Infantry. Was promoted to
the rank of Major in 1864 and mustered
out in 1865. Mr. Huston has been singu-
larly successful both in his profession and
as a business man, has borne a [irominent
part in ]->ublic affairs, and has been identi-
fied in nearly every movement in the
wellfare of \'assar.
Hon. David G. Slafter was born at
Norwich, Vt., January 1, 1817. February
16, 1843, he married Ann Calista, daugh-
ter of John Lucas, of Pierrepont, \. Y.
She was born December 6, 1826. In the
fall of 1849 they settled in the town of
Tuscola, and since that time Mr. Slafter
has occupied a prominent position in
D. G. SLAFTER.
busmess and public atfairs. With the
exception cf one year, he has held the
office of justice of the peace ever since
1852, and during all that time he has never
had a case reversed. He was judge of pro-
liate four years, enrolling officer and deji-
uty provost marshal from 1863 until the
close of the war, and a member of the
legislature in 1863 and at the extra session
of 1864. Mr. Slafter's business has been
mainly real estate and lumbering. He is
now extensively engaged in buying and
selling pine lands, and at the present
time is largely interested in pine lands in
Alabama. He is a stockholder and p;esi-
dent of the First National Bank, of this
|ilace, and is also agent of the State Board
of Charities and Corrections for Tuscohi
county, by appointment of the Governor.
Mr. Slafter is a pioneer of the county and
one of \'assar's best citizens.
Edwin J. Hovey, \'assar's popular
dentist, first saw light in Washtenaw
county, Michigan, in 1841. Mr. Hovey 's
education, aside from the rudiments of a
d'strict school, was obtained at Dickinson
institute at Romeo, and later at the Phil-
adel|)hia Dental College, at which place
he received his degree. His residence
ill Vassar has covered pretty much all
the years of his professional life, exce|it
a short time si)eiit at Fenton and Hough-
ton in this state. In addition to his jirac-
tlce he at one time owned the Times of
this city, and was a member of the city
council for three terms. Mr. Hovey is
prominejit in Masonic circles, and is one
of Vassar's clever business men and good
E. J. HOVEY.
R. G. LYON.
Robert G. Lvon, the subject of this
sketch, was born in Washtenaw county,
this state. Beginning his education in a
district school he soon afterward attend-
ed the union school at Ann Arbor until
seventeen years of age. The next five
years was mostly spent in farm work and
teaching school. When the war broke
out he was driving team for a lumber-
man in Pennsylvania for the large sum
of twelve dollars per month. On May
16th, 1861, Mr. Lyon enlisted in Co. F,N.
Y. Vol., then stationed at Elmira, N. Y.
He served his time and when discharged
on May 22nd 1863, received an excellent
recommend from his'captain. Returning
to Michigan he enlisted December 18,
1863, in the 14th Michigan Battery Light
Artillery and served until the close of the
war. Mr. Lyon came to A'assar in 1880,
and embarked in the hardware business.
Since that time he has been honored by
the people for five years as mayor, three
years as chairman of the Board of Water
Commission, and six years as a member
of the School Board. Mr. Lyon is essen-
tially a selfmade man, is popular with
the masses, and sells hardware as cheap
as he can consistently.
ued for four years. Mr. Bullard is the
kind of a man that towns like \'assar
want. Since coming here he has built
three houses, a pump factory and a store
and boomed the upper end by plattmg
"Bullard's Addition to X'assar." Mr.
Bullard held the office of Secretary of
the Masonic lodge for thirteen years, is
Past Commander of the G. A. R. post,
has been in the city council for two terms
county supervisor one term and is at pres-
ent a member of the school board and
E. A. BULLARD.
E. A. LuLLARU, the farming imple-
ment anil machinery dealer, is one of the
old standbys in Vassir. He was born
November 10, 1840, in Oakland county,
Michigan, and tilled the soil religiously
until the war broke out, when his patriot-
ism got the better of him and he enlisted
at Brighton in Company I, Fifth Michi-
gan Infantry. He participated m the
Peninsular campaign underMcClellan and
was before Yorktown, Williamsburg, Fair
Oaks and in the seven days fight before
Ivichmond, In the battle of Charles City
Cross Roads he was wounded and dis-
charged in December, 1862, from the
Philadelphia hospital. Returning to
Michigan he located at Hartland, in the
pump business until September. 1864,
when he enlisted again with Battery H,
Fir^t Michigan Light .ArtillerN and stayed
until the close of the war. In 1866 he
came toj V'assar and commenced the
manufacture of pumps which wa5 contin-
R. W. Miller was born in 1836, and
was a native of New Jersey. In 1854 he
went to California with his brother Frank,
and engaged in mining in the Sierras.
Together they owned large interests in
one of the richest mines in the mountains,
over a million and a quarter dollars being
taken out in gold dust and S500,000 in div-
1 iens declared in three years. After clos-
ing up their mining interests in Califor-
nia, Mr. Miller came to \'assar in 1872.
before cars ran over the Detroit and Bay
City railroad, and formed a partnership
under the firm name of R. W. and F.
Miller and dealt in farm produce and
farmer's supplies. The following year
they built a large elevator near the depot
and bought over 300,000 bushels of wheat,
besides a large amount of oats, corn, etc,
and shipped over 100 carloads of corn to
the retail trade during the following win-
RICHARD W. JMILLER.
ter. The volume of business over their
counters run from S2,000 to §5,000 per day.
In 1880, R. W. Miller severed his connec-
tion with the firm and went to Colorado
and mined over a good portion of that
state. Panicky silver markets and hard
times were not to his liking and he re-
turned to Vassar and opened up in the
boot and shoe business at the corner of
Huron and Cass avenues. Mr. Miller is
one of the staunch men of Vassar. The
fact that he invested heavily in real estate
is sufficient evidence that he believes in
J. M. S.MITH, Vassar's crack harness
dealer, is a native of New York, and was
born in Jefferson county in 1848. When
Mr. Smith was still wearing knickerbock-
ers his family removed to Ontario and
J. M. SMITH.
located at London. It was at St. Thomas,
in the province of Ontario, that he first
learned the trade of harness-making,
which he has followed successfully in
nearly every large city in the Dominion
and the United States. After putting in
a good many years rambling about the
country, Mr. Smith finally located in
\'assar five years ago. The only avail-
able place for his business at that time "
in Vassar was in the Barnum block, and
It was here that he remained for three
years, removing two years ago to the
brick building he now occupies near the
corner of Huron avenue and River street.
From the modest beginning his busmess
has finally branched out to be one of the
best in Vassar. Mr. Smith's specialty
is collar work and light harness. His
work in these two branches being the
peer of any no matter where made. He
has manufactured some of the best track
harness seen in this part of the state, one
set of which is used by \'assar's game lit-
tle race mare, American Lady. A num-
ber of other horse owneis in this section
come to his place when they want the
right sort of an article. Mr. Smi'h's
stock of other goods in the saiMft^'y line
is the best in A'assar, and his place the
only one in the county that does not han-
dle factory work. Personally, Mr. Smi:h
is popular and well liked, is a member of
the Knights of Pythias and ihe Foresters
CHAS. D. jniLl.ER.
Charles D. Miller, of the firm of
M. tS; C. Millur, was born in Birmingham,
Oakland County, Mich., July 15, 1850.
He was the second son of Abraham
Miller, a farmer of sterling worth and
repute in Oakland county. Until the age
of thirty years he stuck to the plow, and
first made his debut in the milling busi-
ness at Auburn, in this state. Peculiar
adaptibility to this branch of trade
brought success, and he naturally sought
a larger field. In May 1884, he turned
his face toward Vassar and in comiiany
with his brother, Mark, jiurchased the
Fenner Mills on the east bank' of the
Cass. This was followed some time
after by the purchase of the jilant of the
Vassar Milling Company, and the output
of the concern was pushed with restless
energy. Mr. Miller was married in 1874
to Miss Nettie Boyd, a Birmingham
young lady, and they have -three children,
Charles E. Miller, who is in the milling
business at Owosso, Howard M., and
Miss Bessie. In the busy affairs of life
Mr. Miller finds time to be a prominent
Mason and a good citizen.
E. H. TAYLOR.
E. H. Taylor was admitted to jirac-
tice May, 1873, located in \'assar and has
continued in practice to the present date.
He served for two years as Circuit Court
Commissioner and Prosecuting Attorney
for Tuscola county; Secretary of the
School Board for nine years; member of
the common council of Vassar eight years;
village Attorney five years; member of
the Grand Army of the Republic and
served as Commander four terms in suc-
cession. Socially he is identified with
various orginazations, such as the Ma-
sonic fraternity, Independent Order of
Foresters, Knights of the Loyal Guard,
United Friends, and other like orders.
The subject of our sketch was born at
Lyth, in the county of Westmoreland,
England, and emigrated to America
when quite young. He located at Ran-
somville, Niagara County, state of New
York, and during the summer season
worked on the farm and in the winter
attended district school. At the age
of eighten;n he enlisted, August 8, 1H)2,
as a private soldier in Company E,
l'29th Regiment NewYork Infantry \'olun-
teers. During the fall of 1862 the regi-
ment was transferred and changed to the
8th New York Heavy Artillery, and com-
prised twelve companies of rank and file,
2,000 men. The regiment joined Gener-
al Grant at the Battle of the Wilderness
in the the spring of 1864, and remained
with the army of the Potomac until the
close of the war as a part of the 2nd Bri-
gade, 2nd Division, 2nd Army Corps,
commanded by General Hancock. He
participated with his regiment in the
many battles and skirmishes, was also
present m Ime ol battle when General
Lee surrendered to General Grant at Ap-
pomattox, April 9, ISG.J. During his ser-
vice he rose from the ranks and was com-
missioned 2nd and 1st Lieutenant of Com-
pany E, 8th Regiment N. \. Heavy Ar-
tillery during the month of June, 1865;
was transferred by order of the War De-
partment from Company E,Sth Regiment,
to Comi)any B, 10th Regiment N. Y. Vol-
unteer Infantry as Captain. Remained
with the regiment until it was mustered
out at New York City, July 1865. After
retur':iiig lo U s home, he taught school
and read law until April, 1872, when lie
removed with his wife and children to
\'ass)r and located at this jjlace where
he has continued to reside.
WiLLiA.M H. Merner was born in
Huron county, Ontario, in 1858, and came
to \'assar in 1892. Mr. Merner has, smce
a young man, followed the business of
funeral director and undertaker. He
graduated from the Toronto Embalming
School and the Grand Rapids School of
Enbalming, in addition to which he took
a special course at Detroit. For a num-
ber of years he managed the large under-
taking estalilishment of Samuel Merner,
W. H. MERNER.
at London, Ontario. In 1892 he came to
\'assar and purchased the furniture and
undertaking business of F. R. Fales. Mr.
Merner was married in 1882, to Miss Sa-
lome Fisher, of Godrich, Ontario. He
is a prominent Mason, a solid business
man and a good citizen, and has since his
residence in Vassar built up one of the
best business concerns in the city.
JAHES P. CLACKnORE.
J. P. Blackmore, who has just retired
from the p-oprietorship of the Columbia
Hotel, is a native of London, Ontario.
He came to Lapeer couuty in 1873, and
for five months was in the employ of the
Detroit and Bay City railroad. In 1S74
he had a timber contract with the Flint
and Pere Marquette, after which he re-
turned to Canada and aided in the con-
struction of the Great Western car shops
at London. After engaging in bridge
building in Indiana for a year he returned
to Vassar and in company with his bro-
ther purchased the Central House which
they conducted for four years. Soon after
he purchased the Jewell House, and
greatly improved the property in build
ing and refurnishing. After he had dis
posed of the Jewell House to R. V. Bray
he built the Columbia Hotel in 1892
This is one of the most substantial build
mgs in the city and is furnished as neatly
as any in this part of Michigan. Mr
Blackmore has done his share in the im
provement of Vassar, and has been large-
ly interested in the breeding of blooded
horses. He has also been secretary of
the Agricultural Society and interested in
the race meetings in \'assaT since the
organization of the driving park.
Mark Miller, of the firm (
C. Miller, is a native of Michi
was born at Birmingham, July
At the age of twenty years he
with the George Morris Milli
pany at Birmingham, and first
the rudiments of the business in
afterward became so proficien
to Nebraska some years later.
->i M. and
lished a mill at Marysvillf, where he
remained for two years, returning to
Michigan at the end of that time. In
1884, in connection with his brother C. D.
Miller, he came to \'assar and took the
old Fenner mill plant. The firm's ability
to make good goods soon increased the
business until a larger plant was requir-
ed, and the McHose plant where the firm
now do business jiassed into their control.
Mr. Miller is very prominent in Masonic
circles and is a member of \'assar Lodge.
John L. Root, one of Vassar's stanch
citizens, was born in Litchfield, Ohio,
Se()tember 2.'5, 1846, and came to Tuscola
county with his parents at the age of
thirteen years, and settled near Watrous-
ville. One yeai after their settlement
here the war broke out and John's two
elder brothers enlisted and went to the
front, leaving him to look after the farm
interests in common with his father who
was in poor health. By a diligence that
has characterized Mr. Root's after life,
he obtained a good education at the
Watrousville schools, and afterwards re-
ceived the finishing touches at the Vassar
High School and at Oberlin, Ohio. From
the winter of 1867 until the spring of 1872,
Mr. Root taught in a number of the
graded schools in this part of .Michigan,
and in the last named year went on the
road for Hill and Brothers, of Detroit,
at a salary of Si 2,000 a year and expenses,
continuing with the firm until they went
out of business in 1875. Having an es-
tablished trade of no small proportions,
the Stephens tea, coffee and spice house
placed him for three years in charge of
their trade in the cities and large towns
of Michigan. At the end of this time he
purchased the store of G. W. Rogers and
Company, of Watrousville, extending it
to a big branch concern at Ree^e. Ten
days after, the Reese store burned to the
ground and between S4,000 and S5,000 uf
Mr. Root's good money went up in smoke.
Although this was a serious blow to the
young man, he sacrificed his personal
property and paid out d'^llar for dollar-
He retired to his old home, remaining
there for two years before again taking
the road for the Stephens company, a
position that he holds today. Mr. Root
has been identified with everything that
has Vassar tacked to it, and has been
popular with the people, having served
as Justice of the Peace, as a member of
the city council for two years and a mem-
ber of the Board of Education, an office
he holds at the present time. Socially,
Mr. Root is a member of \'assar Lodge,
F. and A. M., Caro Chapter, Bay City
Commandry, and Moslem Temple of
Detroit. His farm near the outskirts of
the city is one of the finest in Tuscola
county and his residence one of the pret-
tiest that grace our city. Mr. Root was
married in 1870 to Miss Christie A. Stack,
of Reese, and they have one daughter.
Frank Miller, proprieter of the Vas-
sar elevator and lumber yards, is a man
who has little to say, but conducts more
business in his line than any other man in
the thumb. At his elevator he purchases
all kinds of grains and farm produce at
JOHN L. ROOT.
the market price, and for this reason Vas-
sar has be cornea great grain market. He
l>urchases annually from 80,000 to 100,000
bushels of potatoes alone and his ship-
ments in all departments are from 700 to
1,000 cars per year. At his sawmill he
cuts from two to three million feet of
lumber each year, and during the sum-
mer months gives employment to fifty
hands, with a weekly pay roll of $400.
He carries a full line of rough, dressed
and manufactured lumber, lath, shingles,
coal, lime, salt, plaster, etc. A planing
mill and bed factory is also conducted in
connection with tliis business and quite a
shipping demand is made for the beds.
He owns and ojierates the Caro Electric
Light Works and also owns an elevator
at Caro. Mr. Miller handles a large-
amount of grain and produce for numer-
ous smaller buyers throughout the county.
ISeing acquainted and doing business di-
rect with the largest dealers in the United
States, he is able to furnish them the best
of the metropolitan markets.
EiJWARD G. Beckerson was born in
llalderman county, Ontario, in 1864, and
followed the occupation of agricultural
pursuits until about ten years ago when
he came to \'assar. His first position
here was the management of the Justin
Wenthworth farm, where he remained
about a year, going to the T. North farm
the five years following. He then came
to Vassar and purchased the livery busi-
ness of E. A. Bullard, which he has con-
ducted since that time. Mr. Beckerson
in connection with Nelson G. Spaulding,
CITY RESIDENCE OF JOHN L. ROOT.
this fall purchased the Jewell House, one
of the best hotels in this section of Mich-
igan. Good management and liberal busi-
ness methods continue to make the house
popular and profitable. Mr. Beckerson
was married in 1885 to Miss Lizzie Slahl.
He is one of the popular business men
of the city and is always to be counted in
on anything that concerns the welfare of
Edwin E. Andrus was born in As-
tabula county, Ohio, on January 28, 1862.
Six years ago Mr. Andrus came to \'assar
and opened up business for the Singer
F. MILLER'S FURNITURE FACTORY.
E. J. BECKERSON.
Sewing Machine Company, handling in
connection pianos, organs and all kinds of
musical merchandise, which he has car-
ried on successfully since. Mr. Andrus
IS a member of the Maccabees and
Knights of the Loyal Guard. He was
married in 1883 to Miss Alyeda E. Clay
of Painsville, Ohio.
E. E. ANDRUS.
John Parker, iiropriutorof the Vassar
Foundry, is truly a selfmade man. His
opjioitunities for education when a boy
were limited, but he made the best of this
and by pluck and perseverance he has be-
come one of Vassar's representative citi-
zens. When he came here he learned
the pumpmaker's trade and followed that
occupation until about two years ago,
when he started into the foundry business
in the old building where several other
turns had made a failure. He manufac-
tured numerous different agricultural im-
plements, among which might be mention-
ed the" Parker Plow," which is fast gaining
the favor of the farmers of the surround-
ing country. Being a good mechanic
he makes most of his own patterns, and
if you are in need of a heavy or light
casting call on Mr. Parker, and he will
supply your wants.
Prescott L. Varnum was born July
25, 1850, in Lapeer county, and came to
Vassar in 1875. He immediately engag-
ed in the shoe business here, and has
been closely identified with the city's
growth and interests since that time.
Mr. Varnum has held various offices of
public trust, being an alderman eight
years, city treasurer two years, county
supervisor five years, and a member of
the Board of Education for ten years, a
position he now holds. M'. Varnum has
in connection with his shoe business been
the agent of the American Express Com-
pany at this point.
C. J. Teeters, of the firm of Knowles
and Teeters, was born in Columbus, St.
Clair county, Mxhigan, December 31,
P. L. VARNUn.
1865, and received his education at Romeo.
Mr. Teeters' debut in the butcher busi-
ness was marked by a whole lot of hard
work, but it proved a good stepping stone
to the progress he made in later years.
In 1885 he opened a market at Washing-
ton, Michigan, which he contmued for
two years, removing to Reese, where he
remained three years. In company with
W. O. Knowles he formed a partnership
three years ago, and the firm have contin-
ued at their present quarters since that
time. This is one of the young business
houses cf the city and that people endorse
the square-toed methods of these two
young men is evidenced by the patronage
accorded them. Mr. Teeters was mar-
ried in 1889 to Miss Maude Pardee, of
C. J. TEETERS.
The subject of this sketch (Mr. J. W.
McLellen) was born in Glasgow, Scotland,
in 1858, was afterwards apprenticed and
worked in that city for several years and
has had over twenty years experience in
Vassar, Toronto and Detroit. He re-
moved here from the latter place three
years ago, filling the position of head cut-
ter for the Vassar Pant Company, and six
months later established his present busi-
ness. Mr. McLellan comes honestly by
his adaptibility to the trade, his paternal
grandfater, two uncles, father and three
members of this family being engaged in
the business. In addition to the trade
that is accorded him at home he also
does an extensive business at Caro, Mil-
lington, Mayville and adjoining towns.
Mr. McLellan employs a force of skilled
workmen that enables him to turn out an
article of work second to none in the
J. W. McLELLAN.
Gilbert H. Moore, the subject o
this sketch is a native of Michigan, anc
was born in Mt. Clemens, Macomb coun
ty, May 18, 1857. In boyhood he was de
prived of many advantages generally en
joyed by the youth of the count -y, and
when he made a start in the world the
only thing he had to recommend him-
self was gcod health, industry and energy,
and they proved a good stepping stone
to success. Mr. Moore came to \'assar
six years ago, and opened up neat tonsor-
ial jiarlrrs, where he made cleanliness
and diligence the ruling feature. Social-
ly, Mr. Moore is a Mason, holding the
office of Senior Deacon, is a Knight of
Pythias, a member of the Knights of the
I^oyal Guard, and has represented Vas-
sar Lodge of Odd Fellows in the Grand
a. H. MOORE.
Lodge. Always willing to lend a hand in
anything that pertained to the welfare of
Vassar, he has made for himself some-
thing that is always beneficial, "a good
name at home."
Charles O. Evans was born January
12, 18G2, in New Boston, Michigan. Ever
since he was able to wear long pants he
has been in the brick business, working
first for his father at his New Boston
yards, and later was twelve years in busi-
ness for himself at Caro. Six years ago
Mr. Evans came to Vassar and in com-
pany with F. Miller organized the Vassar
Brick and Tile Company. The concern
is one of the best institution in Vassar,
giving employment to a large number of
men and doing an evtens've "-h-ppin?
business. Mr. Evans is an unassuming,
straightforward business man and belongs
to Vassar lodge of Masons. He was
married in 1890, to Miss Kate Adams, of
CHAS. O. EVANS.
O. Knowles, the subject of
sketch, is a Canadian by birth, being born
at Dorchester, Ontario, April 3, 1867.
Mr. Know'es had only passed the second
mile stone of his existence when his fam-
ily removed to Vassar, and it was here
that he received his edu' ation at our high
school. T hree years ago Mr. Knowles in
company with C. J. Teeters, formed a
partnership and established the meat
and poultry business at their present lo-
cation. Strict attention to business and
W. O. KNOWLES.
square busmess methods win for the firm
a good patronage. Mr. Knowles was
married in 1889 to Miss Anna A. Lewis,
The county of Lapeer has contributed
some pretty good citizens to the domain
of Vassar during the past twenty-five
years, among whom we mention W. R.
HoUenbeck. He was born on November
11, 1862, and received a common school
education, that was afterwards polished
off at the Otisville grade 1 schools. At
the age of twenty-one years Mr. HoUen-
beck embarked in the grocery business at
Columbiaville, removing to Vassar two
years later, being may ir of Columl)ia-
ville at the time. During his res'dence
in Vassar Mr. HoUenbeck has served as
township clerk for three years, been a
member of the board of alderman for two
years, and in 1893 was honored by being
elected supervisor7 on the republican
ticket. He has always been looked upon
W. R. HOLLESBrCK.
as a consistent worker for the interest of
the people, and is at present a member of
the Water Board of this city. Mr. Hollen-
beck's grocery business is located at the
corner of Cass and Huron ;
James A. Trotter, editor of the Tus-
cola County Pioneer, was born in 1862,
in Schoharie county. New York. In 1863
he removed to Vassar where his educa-
tion was completed in the Union schools.
In 1869, when he was about seventeen
years of age his father purchased the Pio-
neer and in conjunction with the two sons,
J. A. and William, began its publication.
In 1875 the two purchased the father's in-
terest and two years later the interest of
William was bought by the present
owner. Mr. Trotter was clerk of the city
from 1876 to 18S0, wns for four years a
J. A. TROTTER.
member of the Common Council and
served six years on the Board of Educa-
tion. He has been connected with the
Tuscola County Agricultural Society for
many years and that organization owes a
measure of its popularity and success to
Jim's good head work. Mr. Trotter is
conspicuous in Masonic circles and has
served as Master of the Vassar lodge for
a number of years.
\V. T. Watson was bom in New York
state in 1S64, and removed with his par-
ents to Mecosta county, Michigan, at the
age of one year. Mr. Watson is the son
of Rev. R. H. Watson, a Congregational
minister of considerable repute in Mich-
igan. His first venture in the art of pho-
tography was at Bellevue, Michigan, and
afterward at Shephard. Three years ago
he came to X'assar and purchased the
gallery at his present location. His work
embraces every branch of photography.
Mr. Watson was married in 1892 to Miss
Alice Monroe, at Calamo, Michigan.
E. Emmett Miller, one of the "young
crowd" of Vassar, was born January 1,
lS7:i, in this city. He attended the
Vassar high school and got a good
start in the world by staying around thc-
old Times office on " press days," and
"learning the cases" by the ruddy glow
of an oil lamp at nights. Six years ago he-
was given the charge of the mechanical
department of the Tuscola County Pio-
neer, one of the best county papers in
Michigan, a position he now occupies.
One year ago he assumed the manage-
ment of Miller's Opera House, one of the
prettiest and most substantial theaters in
the "Thumb." The liberal and consis-
tent methods that characterize his man-
agement has given the house a "good
name at home," and as theatrical people
express it, "a good place to come to."
E. E. MILLER.
The class of attractions that have visited
Vassar since he assumed charge have
been of the highest order.
M. AND C. MILLERS FLOURLNQ MILL.
W . T. \S ATSON.
W. J. Spe.\rs, of the law firm of Huston
and Spears, was born thirty-two years
ago in Arbela, Tuscola county, and by
his own ]iluck and energy pushed him-
self to the front in his profession. In 18.5-J
he began the study of law in the office of
which he is now a partner, was admitted
to the bar of Tuscola county in 1885, and
in June, 1886, graduated from the Univer-
sity of Michigan receiving the degree
of Bachelor of Law. He returned to
\'assar the same year, was elected Circuit
Court Commissioner, and re-elected in
1888. Mr. Spears was elected City At-
torney in 1892, an office he holds at the
present time. He is also Secretary of the
Board of Trustees of the Michigan School
for the Deaf, and has been honored in
various ways by the people.
W. J. SPEARS.
One of the substantial business con
cerns of Vassar has for its founder and
perpetuator, C. A. Mapes. His business
was established in 1887 and the trade
that has been accorded him has been
, nothing short of phenomenal. The stock
of clothing, furnishing goods, hat, caps,
etc., is the largest carried in Tuscola
county and his sales foot up the heaviest
of any local concern doing business here-
in that line. Mr. Mapes has vast inter-
ests in Vassar, bemg one of the directors
of a local bank and holding various other
business interests. He was honored by
the people by being elected alderman
and is prominent in the Pythian and
The Tuscola County Agricultural So-
ciety is one of the few successful county
fair organizations in the state. Organized
over thirty years, the society has each
year met with the hearty approval and
liberal support of the people and every
succeeding fair seems to be an improve-
ment over its predecessor. The society
is an institutibn believed in and appre-
ciated by the farmers of the county, who
realize its value from an agricultural
as well as the commercial standpoint. In
addition to its distributing many hundred
dollars yearly to patrons, it is through
the stimulus of its exhibitions that the
best products of the farm and household
have been developed and the " scrub "
been forced to give way to the thorough-
bred, until no county in the state can
boast of finer or better bred horses, cattle.
CORNER IN MAPES' BIQ CLOTHING HOUSE.
sheep or swine, than can ours. The an-
nual fairs of the society are held at \'assar.
rASSAR BRICK AND TILE COHPANVS YARDS.
the railroad and commercial center of the
county. The fair grounds comprise
twenty-three acres, artistically laid out
and fully equipped with commodious
buildings excelled by no town or city in
the state. The half-mile track is pro-
nounced by hoursemen to be the best in
Michigan. The grounds and improve-
ments represent an outlay of nearly
The officers for 1895 are. President,
Wm. Kirk, Fairgrove ; Vice-President,
N. E. York, Arbela ; Secretary, R. S.
Weaver, Watrousville ; Treasurer, J. A.
William Grant, crack laundryman,
is a native of this city, and was born Feb-
ruary 5, 1864. Nine years ago he opened
an unpretentious hand laundry that re-
received so much encouragement in both
the city and surrounding towns that a
steam plant was soon necessary to keep
apace with the volume of business. This
was put in six years ago. Since that
time new and approved laundry machin-
ery has been constantly added and facili-
ties for handling out of town work materi-
ally increased. Regularagenciesat Yale,
Columbiaville, Reese, Richville, Brown
City and fifteen other Michigan towns
give the shipping department of the busi-
ness plenty to look after. Mr. Grant is
purely a Vassar product and by a persist-
ant exhibition of pluck, together with a
general popularity, nas gained a success
that anybody could be proud of.
.DlIk.MAN C. C. HILl.
ALDERMAN J W. QOLLAN.
ALDERMAN T. Al. STEPHENS.
VV. H. STARK, Hayor.
ALDERMAN H. J. MILLER.
-DERMAN J. E. VESCELIUS.
l^aeeav's Common Council
William H. Stark, the present Ma-
yor of Vassar, was born in Port Dover,
Ontario, July 15, 1861. In 1862 he remov-
ed with his parents to Saginaw, where
he worked in the soap factory owned by
his father. At the early age of sixteen
he began in the livery business for him-
self, which he carried on successfully
four years, turning his hand to railroad
contracting next, at which he was especi-
ally fortunate. In 1883 Mr. Stark return-
ed to \'assar and engaged in the livery
business which he conducted for six
years, and later was in the boot and shoe
business for three years. After selling
out his boot and shoe business he became
one of the firm of Stark and Mapes, now
known as the ^'assar Pant Company, and
after a year of successful business pur-
chased the entire interest which has since
been carried on by him. From the mod-
est beginning, the business of this concern
has grown so rapidly that it requires a
working force of thirty employes. In the
past year the business of the concern
covered every town north of \'assar in
Michigan and many Wisconsin cities.
Something over §10,000 was paid during
the year just ending for labor, which rates
this institution among the best. Mr. Stark
is a member of ^'assar Lodge, Free and
Accepted Masons, Knights of Pythias,
Independent Order of Foresters, Knights
of the Maccabees and Loyal Orange
Lodge. In politics he is a Republican
and has been honored by being elected
township treasurer in 1889 and 1890, and
in 1891 was elected Mayor of Vassar, an
office which he fills efficiently at the pre-
sent time. Mr. Stark was President of
the Tuscola County Republican Club for
one year and is at present a member of
the Republican County Central Commit-
tee. He was also honored in the Sena-
torial Convention at Lapeer by having
the solid vote of his county for 104 ballots
for the nomination of Senator for the
twenty-second senatorial district. It was
in this memorable convention that John
L. Preston was nominated on the one
hundred and fifth ballot by a unanimous
vote. Mr. Stark possesses more than or-
dinary force of character, which is guided
by a clear discernment and excellent
The subject of this sketch, Mr. Sanford,
was born in Green county. New York, in
1842, and came to Michigan in 1870 and
settled in Ingham county. It was in 1881
that Mr. Sanford came to \'assar and
started in business in the hardware line, a
branch of trade with which he had been
identified since his boyhood days. His
success is not therefore the result of
chance, but the fruit of wise and consist-
ent methods and business vigilance. His
store in Vassar is located in the Huston
block and is one of the most centrally
located, and his stock the peer of any in
Tuscola county. Mr. Sanford has always
been identified with the best intsrests of
V^assar and has backed his faith in the
proud city of the Cass by encouraging all
of her institutions. He was elected by
the people as a member of the board of
aldermen two years ago, a place he holds
at the present day. Socially Mr. Sanford
is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity
and belongs to the \'assar lodge.
Charles C. Hill, the shoe man of
Vassar, was born in Birmingham, Michi-
gan, April 20, 1863, and was a son of
Rev. S. N. Hill, the widely known pastor
of the Presbyterian church in \'assar.
Mr. Hill received his education at the
\'assar high school, and in 1881 allied
himself with the Vassar Woolen Com-
pany as house salesman, continuing in
that capacity until 1894 with the excep-
tion of two seasons. Three years ago he
formed a partnership in the shoe and fur-
nishing goods business under the firm
name of Hill and Lewis. On January 1,
1895, Mr. Hill succeeded the firm, and has
conducted the business since that time.
He was elected alderman last year on the
Republican ticket, is prominent in Ma-
sonic and Pythian circles and is well liked
by patrician and plebian. Hill owes his
success in business to the liberal use of
printers ink and common sense. There
are not many homes in Tuscola county
that have not heard of Hill, the shoeman.
In addition to the shoe business he finds
time to act in the capacity of City Clerk
and secretary of the Business Men's As-
sociation. Mr. Hill was married in 1885
to Miss Alice Hough, of .Almont.
The subject of this sketch, J. E. Ves-
celius was born October 10, 1848, in Em-
field, New York. In 1857 he removed
with his family to Tuscola county, and
settled on a farm three miles south of
Tuscola. Mr. Vescelius came to \'assar
in 1877 and engaged in thegun and sport-
ing goods business. His business house
is located on Cass avenue near Huron.
He also buys raw furs in season and does
considerable business in this line. In 1885
he organized the ^'assar Rifle Club with
twenty-five members. The range of the
club is located within the city limits, and
its members enjoy the distinction of win-
ning a large number of first prizes in the
state shoots. Mr. Vescelius is a member
of the board of aldermen of the city of
Vassar and is one of her good citizens.
Alderman Thomas M. Stephens was
born in Almont, Lapeer county, Michigan,
November 24, 1855, and was satisfied to
till the soil of Lapeer county until he was
twenty-five years of age. In 1880 he was
married to Miss Hattie A. Hough, of Al-
mont, and removed to Vassar and formed
a partnership with M. T. Butts in the
grocery business. The firm continued in
existence for three years. Mr. Stephens
then removed to Romeo and entered the
store of J. J. Cochrane where he remained
for four years. He then took the road for
H. P. Baldwin and Company, a Detroit
shoe house, and removed his family to
Vassar. Mr. Stephens was elected last
spring to the office of alderman, he is sup-
erintendent of the Baptist Sunday School
and is an active worker in church affairs.
Mr. Stephens is the kind of citizens Vas-
sar is glad to hold.
As an evidence that it pays to attend
to business and follow the straight and
narrow path, it is only neccessary to point
to the career of H.J. Miller, one of \'as-
sar's crack druggists. He was bora on
September 6, 1866, at Lawrence, Ontario,
and received only a common school edu-
cation. At the age of sixteen he entered
a drug store at Fort Gratiot where he
remained for ten years. In March, 1891,
Mr. Miller came to Vassar and started in
business for himself with but little money
and whole lots of energy. By a liberal
use of tfie latter he sot a good fund of
the former and has one of the best con-
ducted drug concerns in this county. He
has served two years as alderman of this
city, and is trustee and treasurer of the
M. E. Church, is a Mason and a member
of the Royal Arcanum. Mr. Miller was
married in 1892 to Clara A. Swartzfeiguer-
of \'assar, and has one of the neatest
little homes in the city.
John \V. Goll.\n was born in Ran-
somville, New York, in 1861, and received
his education at Lockport, Xew York.
In 18S0 Mr. Gollan came to X'assar and
entered the dry goods store of McHose
and Gage, remaining there something
over a year when he was engaged as sales-
man for William Barie and Son, of
Saginaw. In 1888 he formed a partner-
ship with J. T. Stecker in the dry goods
business which continued up to the time
of Mr. Stecker's death, when Mr. Gollan
assumed the entire business. This was
in 1890. The business has been conduct-
ed by him on a strictly first-class plan
since that time, and is one of the model
places of business in \"assar. and is pop-
lar socially. He was married in 1890 to
Miss Birdell Garman, of Vassar.
Mr. Gollan was elected alderman of
of the city last year.
IRA L. FORBES.
Ira L. Forbes, superintendent of the
\assar schools, was born in Wayne coun-
ty, Xew York, in 1842, being fresh from
school in 1862, when his patriotism caused
him to enlist in the 18th Michigan Infan-
try. After nine months in camp and
field, his education and attainments
RICHARD nORRIS, H. D.
caused him to be released from field duty
and assigned to duty in the Provost Mar-
shal's department as clerk of the military
prisons at Nashville, Tennessee. He was
soon made chief clerk, a position which
he filled to the satisfaction of the General
in charge to the close of the war. After
the war he was again at school for a year,
after which he began his career as a
teacher of the young, which he has fol-
lowed continuously ever since. He is now
in his ninth year as Superintendent of the
\'assar schools, having successfully held
the position against a most wicked attack
by the County Board of E.xaminers in
the interest of one of their number. Not
one of the corrupt board is now in the
teaching profession in our county. Mr.
Forbes is always prominent in any move-
ment for culture or advancement and it is
due to him that Vassar's schools are in
a prosperous condition.
Richard Morris, M. D., one of the
most successful practitioners of Tuscola
county, is a native of Limerick, Ireland.
When he was less than a year old his
parents emigrated to the new world and
settled in Xew York State, removing later
to Canada, where he received his educa-
tion. Dr. Morris is a graduate of the
Toronto School of Medicine, of the Buffa-
lo University and of the Military School of
Canada. In 1870, Dr. Morris came to
Tuscola county and settled at Watrous-
■ ville, in which place he continued the
practice of his profession until 1883 when
he removed to Vassar. He was married
in 1870 to Josephine Jilson. Dr. Morris
is a close student and an able diagnos-
tician, is a Mason and has held the office
of county coroner most of the time since
his residence here. At the present time
he holds the office of health officer of
Arthur S. Rogers, M. D., Ph. C, is
one of Tuscola county's own sons and
first saw the light of day thirty-two years
ago at Watrousville. Dr. Rogers receiv-
ed his education at the ^"assar high school,
and in 1882 entered the pharmacy depart'
of the University of Michigan, taking a
literary course in connection, finishing
the Ph. C. course in 1885 with a credit of
three years on the A. B. chemistry course.
In the spring of 1885 he opened and
assumed the management of the Eagle
drug store in Saginaw, remaining in that
capacity until the business was disposed
of two years later. As the drug business
was intentionally preparatory to the
study of medicine, he returned to the
University of Michigan and entered the
medical department upon advanced
standing and finished in 1890. During
the year following he practiced medicine
and taught pathology in the University,,
and came to Vassar in 1892. Although
he took only temporary quarters in this
city his success as a practitioner among
the people of his own county have made
A. S. ROGERS, n. D.
them permanent. Dr. Rogers is a mem-
ber of the Washtenaw Medical Associa-
tion and holds the position of Health Offi-
cer of Vassar. His practice is one of the
most lucrative m the county, and a pleas-
ing personality has made him popular
with the masses.
REV. C. H. MORGAN.
Rev. Charles H. Morgan, Ph. D.,
pastor of the First M. E. Church, Vassar,
was born in Oakland county, Michigan,
November IS, 1852, his ancestors for two
generations back being natives of New
York and New Jersey. He is a graduate
of the Northwestern University, Evans-
ton, Illinois, IS'il, and of Boston Univer-
sity, Schtol of Theology, 1879, School of
all Sciences, degree of Ph. D., I*s3. In
1.S79 he became a member of the Detri.it
Annual Conference, and his previous ■
jiastorates have been at Marquette, Fow-
lerville, Komeo, Jefferson Street, Sagi-
naw, Fast Side, Adrian, West Bay City,
and Howell. He married Miss Emma D.
Webster, of Farrington, Michigan, June
22, 1887. They have one child, Leslie
Webster, born March 10, 1894. Dr. Mor-
gan has always given close attention to
work among the children and young peo-
ple, and was a member ol the convention
which organized the Epworth League at
Cleveland in 1889. Revivals, temper-
ance and other social reforms are a pro-
minent feature of his work. He is the
author of a system cf galher'ng and class-
ifying newspajier material and of various
lectures, the most popular of which are
" The Seven Wonders of the Nineteenth
Century," " Five-Fifths of a Farmer,"
and " Social Movements of our times."
The First Presbyterian Church of Vas-
sar dates back ta the spring of 1865.
Although the church organization dates
from 1865, there was no regular minister
until 1856 when Rev. George Winter,
then located at Brandon, Oakland county^
made a visit and preached for the first
time in the frame school house opposite
the tannery. The first church edifice
was built and dedicated in August, 1859,
and the jiresent spacious building was
erected in 1891. Mr. E. A. Huffman, the
present pastor, is a man of broad views
and liberal education.
The Vassar Class of the United P.reth-
em in Christ was organized with thitty-
five members in 1880, in the old town hall
( verthe 7>V;/« office, and in the following
year built the house which they now oc-
cupy on the east side of the river. Rev.
A. E. Serbert was the organizer and
builder of the first house of worship.
Since that time ten pastors have had
charge of the interests of the little flock-
Rev. Ira J. Tripp, the present incumbent,
was admitted to the ministry in 1893 and
■'-■ - -J
took the pastorate of the L'nited Brethern
Church at Petoskey in 1894. In 1895 he
came to Vassar, and interest in the work
has increased materially since that time.
The Methodist Episcopal Church Soci-
ety was formed by S. P. Lee, preacher
in charge of the Genesee Circuit, in Octo-
ber, 1851, and consisted of L. W. Van
Kleeck, Emily Van Kleeck. Ebenezer
Morse, Elizabeth and Harriet Gibbs,
wives of Sabin and Orin Gibbs. This
class was afterwards disbanded, but was
aga'n organized in 1864 by Charles
Haines, preacher in charge of the Tus-
cola Circuit and consisted of six members,
from which has grown the present flour
ishing society. Vassar was connected
with the Tuscola Circuit and had preach-
ing by pastors appointed for Tuscola
until 1863, when the name was changed
REV. IRA J. TRIPP.
to \'assar and J. H. Horton appointed
pastor. The services were held in the
school house until ihe Presbyterian
church was dedicated, and which was
used until they built a church of their
own. At the conference of 1867, J. O.
Bancroft was appointed to Vassar in view
of building a church. At this time there
were but thirty five members in the
church and it looked almost an impossi-
bility to build a church, but with thebnsi-
ness men of the town on the board of
trustees and the indefatigable labor of
the pastor and his wife, a substantial
church was built and furnished at a cost
of S7,400. It was dedicated July 11, 1869.
A Sunday school was also organized and
has been carried on very successfully un-
FIRST PRE5BVTERIAN CHURCH.
der the efficient superintendency of the
Hon. B. W. Huston for the past twenty-
five years. The present home of this so-
ciety was began in May of this year and
is one of the finest specimens of church
architecture that can be found. The
basement consists of a reception hall,
dining room, kitchen and furnace room
with all the necessary equipments. The
audience room has a raised floor with cir-
cular seats and will accommodate four
hundred and fifty people. The Sundav
school room is in immediate connection
and is separated from the main room by
a rolling partition. This new edifice was
dedicated September 1, 1S95.
REV. W . H. ISr.TTC^S
The First Bapiist Church of \'as?ar
was organized April IT), lbS8, with a char
ter membership of nine persons In
May, 1889, the society incorporated under
laws of the state, and was recognized as
a regular Baptist church. The services
are for the present held in the Grand
Army hall on Huron avenue, while the
magnificent temple of worship that the
earnest and willing workers of the society
are building, is in the course of erection.
A brief description of the dimensions of
this church is given. The total length is
78 feet and the width 60 feet; the auditor-
ium is 45x47 feet, with a Sunday school
room separated by rolling partitions.
The general style is Romanesque, built
of Grindstone City quarry stone and the
best Vassar brick to finish. The public's
responses in aid of the church has
been liberal and satisfying and while
it was not designed to erect a structure of
elaborate proportions, it will compare
favorably with any church in Tuscola
county. The present pastor. Rev. W. H.
Betteys, is a conservative and consistent
man, has the polish of a brilliant educa-
tion and a business ability that would do
A CHAPTER OF VASSARS PAST.
In 1847 an appropriation of 3,000 acres
of land was made by the government to
build "White Bridge" over the Cass
river at Bridgeport. The contract was
awarded to Townsand North, Judge J. M.
and Newton Edmunds. At the comple-
tion of their contract Mr. North was made
agent for the company to select the lands,
and he proceeded up the Cass and select-
ed some fine pine lands where the flourish-
ing city of \'assar now stands. In 1849
the c mpany erected a small shanty near
the present site of the \\ illiamson tan-
nery, and proceeded to b nld up a town.
towns springing up around us for honors,
on June 15, 1866, Caro, then called "Cen-
terville," by the aid of Tuscola, secured
During the month of August, 1854, the
village of \'assar was surveyed and the
plat recorded. In 1858 the Presbyterian
church was erected and a'so tlie first
drug store in the county opened. The
Woolen factory was erected in 1867 and
and Vassar began to assume the airs of a
In 1872 the Michigan Central railroad
was built and the village incorporated.
This is one of the finest hotels in the
city and county. The building, a large
structure, 80x100 feet, two stories, is built
of brick in excellent design. It was
erected three years ago at a cost of S9,000
and Vassar is indebted to J. P. Blackmore
for its good hotels as he also built ^n ad-
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH.
They soon had a sawmill in operation,
where the Phillips and Sturgis plant now
stands and in the meantime opened a
general store near the same place.
S. P. Lee organized the first church
society, and the small band of worshipers,
composed of six members, held their first
meeting on October 14, 1851.
Judge F.dmuTids presided over the first
court, held in the county in 1852. \'assar
was then the county seat, but owing to a
fight which was bemg carried on by the
dition to the Jewell House, thereby
doubling its capacity at an expense of
S6,500 and erected several buildings on
the Fairview farm costing §5,000. He
has been a friend to the laborer as can be
seen by the above and has always worked
hard for the growth and interest of the
village, taking an active part in the
building of Recreation Park to which he
donated S7.50 besides other improve-
■ arrangement of the H'-tel
Columbia is excellent. On the lower
floor to the right is the commodious office,
with reading, baggage and sample rooms,
bath and toilet rooms in rear, while to the
left of the hall is the large dining room
with seating capacity for fifty persons'
and the cuisine is first class. On the
upper floor are attractive parlors for
ladies and gentlemen and thirty guest
chambers all' well furnished and the
etjuipment is first class throughout.
The house has an excellent transient
well known throughout the county and
state, having been in the hotel business
for years in this city. His reputation as
a host is proverb'al, and his house one of
the best in the state.
A fine livery and feeding stables m
connection with capacity for fifty horses
and in that line is well patronized by
people in surrounding towns and country,
customers often coming from fifteen to
twenty miles. A full line of light and
heavy carriages are constantly on hand.
Miller's Opera House is a building
highly creditable to the flourishing city.
It was erected in 1879 by R. W. Millur, at
a cost of SlO,000, and is located at the
corner of Main street and Huron avenue
The auditorium is reached by a wide
range of stairs from Main street. The
exterior is of red brick, a steel stair
case being attached to the outside as a
means of escape from fire. The seating
capacity of the house is about 800, the
gallery holding, perhaps, .300 of this nuin
trade from travelers and others ; also a
liberal patronage from residents of Vas-
sar and Tuscola county.
S. Blackmore, the present proprietor, is
enjoying an excellent livery trade and
first class rigs are ready at any time of
the day or night.
A SQUINT OF THE CASS BELOW THE DAM.
ber. The interior decorations are the fin-
est in this quarter of Michigan outside of
Saginaw and the scenery of such quality
and abundance that would do credit to a
much larger city. The destinies of the
house are presided over by E. Emmet
Miller and nothing but the best attrac-
tions are booked. The stage is reached
by a covered stairway connected with the
Jewell House, which provides easy access
to the visiting theatrical companies.
W. B. Cavers, has been connected
with the meat business in Vassar for sev-
eral years. He first started in business
in the Davis building but later purchased
the Jones block and removed his business
there. Mr. Cavers does a strictly cash
business and his large sales and steady
increase of trade shows that this method
may be successfully carried out. He al-
ways keeps a full line of fresh and salt
meats, poultry and fish in season.
BAV CITY. MICHIGAIST.
A PAGE FROM OUR CATALOGUE. SEND FOR ONE.
This school alwa3s gives one
week's trial free.
Enter the International at Bay
City for one week and pa}'
no money, then enter any
other in the Valley, and if
you do not prefer this school
you will be ffi\en one year's
When . . .
In such woi-k as we do liere,
write us for terms, etc.
Visit our School if possible.
Try our School, and
Last, but Not Least,
PAY NO MONEY
IN ANY SCHOOL
till you have tried it.
mtematioiial Business College,
Bay City, Michigan.
\ \ \ \ \\ \\N \ \\N \ \ \\ \ \ N \ \\ \ N \ \ \ S
AATe Ceiter to t\\<^ People wlio
Wisli to Ecor|omize.
It's our business to tell j-ou that our prices have been on the jack-plane and are scaled
down to the quick. We sell the staples of the Dry Goods business at prices that no other house
can touch, for we're satisfied to sell you oftener, and in any quantity.
All the man)' departments of Bazar Meixhandizing can be found with us.
UQderwear, fOiXxzy Goods,
F^ibbons, Toilet Sets,
We are the only store in Vassar that carr}- in stock a full line of Patterns.
You don't have to wait two weeks after you,ve found what
you want, for we have it here.
The Standard Patterns are the best made.
-—-""■■ "™->r^-s V \ \ \ \ ..\ ;4\.s^^:^^^::s^^'%*:: \ n \ \ \:*^^i^^^--
A new feature of our business is the adding of a stock of Magazines,
Newspapers, etc. AH the late and popular periodicals
can be found on our counters.
By the way, we're headquarters for anything in Stationery.
R. D. Varnum's Bazaar,
NEARLr OPPOSITE POST OFFICE,
^^. VASSAR. MICH.
...A Man or Woman...
Speaking SEVEN LANGUAGES may not know the right price of
things needed for the home everyday
In our Block of Stores may be found pretty much every thing needed in the Dry Goods,
Carpet and Gloak line for Women's needs and Men's wear, with a certainty
that the qualities can be depended upon, and the
RRICES ALWAYS AT THE LOWEST POINT.
ON ALL KINDS OF -^
Wioi Mil Cufiate, HI
m Mm I
II, io*s « cuiifci GQfpeis.
WE PARE THE PRICES DOWN ON
Dfess Ml Sis, M
GW8, ips. mmi \tm\i umii
%mi NecteQf, Ml [m ifl Wm.
TRY OUR MAIL ORDER DEPARTMP:NT
FOR SAMPLES AND INFORMATION.
. . . . BRING THE STORE INTO YOUR HOMES ....
THE MAILS makes us all neighbors, and our Mail Order Deparlment
is Prompt, Accurate and Intelligent. MONEY BACK if you want it.
Should your order bring you the wrong thing, don't keep it.
Send it back with instructions to recall your money
and the next mail will bring it.
Porteous, Mitchell & Co.
Dry Goods, Carpets and Cloaks,
<^i^ Saginaw, West Side, Mich.
— One whole year's trial,
We are willing to give the riders of good Bicycles the benefit of
our long study and practical ingenuity.
We will simply state that we have made the most valuable im-
provements on Ball Bearings now out.
If You ^
Write us, and when we get our Catalogue out we
will mail you one, then you can see that we have something that
is worth a great deal if it is speed and perfection that you are
after, besides, we charge you no more for our BEST than you
would have to pay elsewhere.
We also put a wheel on the market, made of good material, at a less price,
only it has the usual style of ball bearings, not so good as our best,
B//f quite as o-ood as any produced up to date.
Factory and Office
214=216 N. Franklin St. Saginaw, E. 5., flich.
THE LARGEST LINE OF . . . .
We meet any kind of a price
on goods in the -
THE BEST MAKES AT CITY PRICES.
PERFUMES, TOILET SOAPS, CREAMS
FroiiT tine Cleanest Stock in Tuscola County.
We have constantly on hand a full stock of Diamond Dyes and recommend them to our
customers as the best and most reliable.
We call especial attention to the valuable new colors just added to the list : Black for
Silk and Feathers, Fast Bottle Green, and four new cotton colors, all fast to washing with soap
and will not fade or crock. Fast Pink, Fast Orange, Fast Garnet, Fast Purple.
OUR STOCK OF DRUGS, MEDICINES AND FANCY GOODS IS COMPLETE,
AND WE INVITE YOUR PATRONAGE. ^ ■
H. J. MILLER, Druggist,
Dry Goods &
128, 130, 132 and 134
'• North Franklin St
Saginaw, East Side.
OUR GREAT STORE . . .
Cein be broLigflit to your doors }^y rising" our
COnPLETE MAIL ORDER DEPARTHENT and asking
for Saiiix:>les of aiTV tliiiio- you \A/aut.
THE GREAT METROPOLITAN
HOUSE OF SAGINAW.
.... gVERY DAY A BUSY DAY HERE ....
Jaiuiary Clearing Sale, Ending January Jisf,
Neiu Spring Goods in February,
And so on each month all the year,
Tliere can be IVLucli Time and THOUSANDS
OF DOLLARS ^^A/^ELL INVESTED.
Our Great System of Seventeen Departments supplies every demand.
Bear us in mind ; make our acquaintance either in person or by mail.
AGENTS FOR BUTTERICK'S PATTERNS.
W. B. GAVERS,
WF^olesale and F^etail
Dealer in -
Fresh and Salted Meats
POULTRY, BUTTER, §GGS,
OYSTERS, RISM ^KD (a^ME:
.... IN SEAS(3N ....
AA/E sell strictly on a CASH basis and are thus enabled
to give you the best Meats, etc., at the lowest pos-
sible prices. We do not handle anything but the very
choicest Meats, and pay cash for all Poultry, Butter,
Eggs, Hides, Pelts and Tallow.
^^\ B. COVERS,
Huron Avenue ^^^>'
2d Door from Post Offce,
DR. FLOI^ENTINK'S HOSPITAL,
on High Grounds and
surrounded by beauti-
ful Lawns and Shade
principal Depots and
Street Car Lines.
Every convenience of
a well regulated Hos-
pital, together with all
the comforts of ho.ne.
Heated by means of
furnace; cozy, open fire
places and gas stoves.
Lighted with electrici-
ty and gas. Each room
newly and elegantly
furnished with all con-
formed under most I
unsurpassed. None but
affable and Trained
Nurses employed. No
I Rooms, Board.
LiRht. Fuel, Medicine
and Nursing, from ,S10
to .-2.5 per
A PRIVATE HOSPITAL FOR WOMEN.
For further particulars address F. B> FLORENTINE, M. D., 507 S. Washington Ave., Sajinaw, E. S., Mich.
Did You Ever
Stop to Think
That it pays to buy good goods,
and that they cost no more than an
inferior article would?
What we mean is that we can give you new and well
selected goods for the same money (and
perhaps less) than you can buy old
and shelf-worn goods for at
Come in and look at our stock and
you cannot help but say that we have
one of the neatest and most
complete stocks of
in the county.
We also carry the finest line of Cream Candies
that we can buy.
A. H. SPEARS &. CO.
Opp. Jewell House, Vassar.
We keep on hand at al
times the largest
and best line of
Finished . .
Our prices are as low as possible for
Good Material and Workmanship.
We guarantee satisfaction, or no pay.
Call and inspect our new stock for 189G.
We have erected most of the best monuments
in Vassar and surrounding country.
We are not in the White Bronze humbug.
A. F. BROGK, Prop.
Main Street, VASSAR.
Store is Located in the
UNION BLOCK, VASSAR.
I own the block and am
here to stay, a fact well worth
you are buying a
WATCH . . .
or a piece of
on a guarantee.
I am prepared to do first-class
work in Watch Repairing,
Fitting Eyes with Glasses.
You can always depend upon
finding a nice present
for a Wedding or Birthday
in the way of a Watch,
a piece of Sterling Silver,
Gold Ring or piece of
All Goods Guaranteed, and
Engraved Without Charge.
BECKERSON & SPAULDING,
Hlways Has First-Class Httractioqs.
E. EMMETT MILLER
J. E. BUCK & SOU,
— DEALERS IN —
VASSAR, - MICH.
R. A. BOYD & CO.
Near m. G. \. \. Depot,
VASSAR, - MICH.
in Fine Ordered Clothing
We have a large assortment
of Imported Woolens,
of Best Quality. .....
Excellent Business Suits for
First Glass Clays for
$2000 to $2300
Also Fine Dress Suits for
You will Save
Money by giving
Us a Gall.
Perfect Fit and
me Reimie weictiaot Tailors
01 mssor, iicn.
Over Harrison's Drug Store.
(VRRftNGED ANO COMP(LeD BY
ntLOCLYNE o» FRED VOILAND
Press of VALLEY PRINTING CO., Saginaw, Mich.