Skip to main content

Full text of "History of Scott County, Arkansas"

See other formats


HISTORY 

OF 

SCOTT COUNTY 
ARKANSAS 



Br 
ffiMY GRADY MCClTTCHKa 





Class JF4iZ 

Book-Sx. 
CDjiyiigtitN" 



HISTORY OF SCOTT COUNTY 
ARKANSAS 



Copyright, 1922, by H. G. McCutchen 



HISTORY 

of 

Scott County 
Arkansas 



By 
Henry Grady McCutchen 










WORKS OF REFERENCE 

Shinn's History of Arkansas. 

Goodspeed's Biographical and Pictorial History of 

Arkansas. 
Harrell's Civil "War and Reconstruction in Arkansas. 
Publications of the Arkansas Historical Association. 
Publications of the Mississippi Historical Society. 
Hinemon's Geography of Arkansas. 
Journal of the Knight of Elvas. 
Files of the Arkansas Gazette. 
Allsopp's History of the Arkansas Press. 
Gerstaecker's Travels. 
Nuttall's Journal. 
Washburn's Reminiscences. 
Jewell's Methodism in Arkansas. 
Pope's Early Days in Arkansas. 
Tremayne's Table of U. S. Post Offices, 1830. 
Files of the Post Office Department. 
Files in the Office of the Adjutant General of Arkansas. 
Files of the U. S. Census Bureau. 
Report of the Secretary of State (Terrall). 
Myers' Compendium of the Rebellion. 
County Records. 



DEC28?2 

C1A692599 

1v '" > 



TO 
MY FATHER AND MOTHER 



PREFACE 

In the following pages I have endeavored to pre- 
sent the out-standing facts of the history of Scott 
County. I have been impelled to do this by several 
reasons. First, I confess to a measurable sentiment 
in the matter. The county is my home, and the 
men and women who made this history are my 
homefolk. Their history is, so to speak, my own, 
and, therefore, a very absorbing study to me. 

Again, I would hold up to the present and suc- 
ceeding generations, and mirror to them, the fit 
examples of character, civic virtues and moral 
leadership displayed by our pioneer forefathers in 
making the history of the county what it is. 

Further, it is a lamentable fact that almost every 
one is more familiar with State, national, and even 
foreign history than with the history of his own 
county or community. We know who the first 
President, the first Governor, or the first Roman, 
German or English ruler was, but we cannot tell 
who was the county's first sheriff or judge or clerk. 
It is the purpose of this booklet to enable the citi- 
zens of the county to know something of the early 
community history — and tlie makers of this history. 

An effort has been made to present an impartial 
and connected account of the leading facts of the 
County history. In this, I have been hampered by 

6 



lack of complete records. The early official papers 
were destroyed by fire, and what other records were 
accessible are fragmentary and incomplete. But 
the facts here given are for the most part taken 
from the offcial records on file in the Federal De- 
partments at Washington, D. C, and in the Library 
of Congress there. I am indebted to Mr. Dallas T. 
Herndon of the Arkansas History Commission for 
the roster of Scott men in the Civil War. Much of 
the atmosphere has been obtained from conversa- 
tions with old settlers of the county. 

In offering this brief account of some of the lead- 
ing facts of our local history, I am mindful of the 
fact that my readers will be mainly citizens of the 
County. 1 have kept this probability constantly 
in mind. I have also been conscious of the possible 
historical value of such a treatise and have en- 
deavored to include as part of the subject matter 
only well-authenicated facts. 1 have tried to put 
these facts into a condensed narrative, and rigidly 
to refrain from comment thereon, tempting as such 
a course has at times been. 1 trust this booklet will 
be accepted in the spirit in which it was prepared — 
a spirit of service to the people of the county. If 
this result is accomplished even only to a small de- 
gree, I shall feel that my labors have been amply 
repaid. 

H. G. M. 
Abbott, Arkansas, 

October 1, 1922. 



CHAPTER I. 
The First Inhabitants 

When the New World first became known to 
Europeans at the end of the fifteenth century, the 
entire country was inhabited by a barbarous people 
which later came to be called Indians. They lived 
in tribes or bands, and at intervals moved from place 
to place in search of game or for other reasons. They 
lived by hunting and fishing mainly, but practiced a 
rude agriculture. In some parts of the New World, 
notably in Mexico and Peru, they had reached a 
comparatively high state of civilization. 

These early inhabitants had spread over the whole 
of the territory now comprised in what is Arkansas 
and Scott County, where they had settled along the 
creeks and rivers. The numerous mounds along the 
small streams of the county, especially in Lewis 
Township, indicate the early occupancy of this re- 
gion by very populous tribes. On the farms now 
owned by WiUiam Chitwood and J. P. McCutchen 
no less than two scores of these prominent mounds 
are situated. They are circular in shape, being on an 
average about twenty yards in diameter, and gen- 
erally rise to a height of eight or ten feet. They he 
along the course of the Little Petit Jean creek. 

On the McCutchen farm is a large burial ground. 
It occupies the south bank of the Little Petit Jean 
directly across from the mound area, and was evi- 

9 



dently used by all the numerous peoples along this 
stream for many miles. It is situated on the highest 
point of land on that side of the stream. The soil 
of this burial ground is of a black, murky, greasy 
character, and after a rain on a hot day it gives off 
an offensive odor. It is filled with arrow heads, 
broken pottery, remains of mussel shells used in 
making their earthenware, skeletal fragments and 
other evidences of the use by the Indians of this 
vicinity, of this plot as a place to bury their dead. 

Game was abundant in this part of the counti-y 
during its occupancy by the Indians. Buffalo and 
elk abounded, as did deer and turkey. Besides, the 
forests teemed with wolves, bears and panthers and 
the lesser animals and birds. But it was principally 
the bufl'alo, of the animals, that helped to determine 
the tribal dwelling place. This animal had well de- 
fined trails over which it yearly migrated, and these 
usually led along the river courses and the higher 
land or the crests of ridges, where the traveling 
would be free of the swamps and mire in all seasons. 
A trail of this sort was the old Indian trail that ran 
from the northeastern part of the State to the south- 
western corner near where Texarkana now stands. 
Its course was almost parallel with that of the pres- 
ent line of the Iron Mountain Railway across the 
Slate. It led along the edge of the high ground that 
commences there and rises to the mountainous por- 
tions of the northwest. By these game trails the 
Indians settled, and they came to be his roads, as 
later they were to become the highways and rail- 

10 



ways of the white men who succeeded the savages 
in dominion over these reahns. 

In Scott County, these trails found the mountain 
passes through which our roads of the present day 
lead. There were the passes of Cedar Creek and 
Mill Creek and Forem through the mountains of 
the souUi, while Petit Jean Pass and Lookout Gap 
gave the game and its Indian pursuers passage to 
the north. And today the white man uses these 
selfsame passes in negotiating the mountain barriers 
on these two sides of the county. 

When De Soto pased through the county in 1541- 
42, he found the region fairly thickly settled by the 
Indians. They lived in cities — probably on the 
mounds before described — and tilled the soil. The 
abundance of high ground in the county made it 
suitable for Indian occupancy and the grazing of 
the buffalo. And De Soto found these people well 
supplied with food and living comfortably. 



11 



CHAPTER II. 
The First Whites 

Although the New World was discovered in 1492, 
no exploration of the interior of North America was 
attempted until fifty years later. In 1539 Hernando 
De Soto, accompanied by six hundred nobles and 
warriors, landed in Tampa Bay, Fla., determined 
to find the fabled Eldorado. They marched north- 
west through the states of Alabama and Mississippi, 
fighting the Indians and exploring the country along 
the march, and at length reached the Mississippi 
River at a point in the vicinity of where Memphis 
now stands. They crossed the river in 1541 into 
the present state of Arkansas. Continuing in a 
northwesterly course, they finally crossed the Bos- 
ton Mountains of northwest Arkansas into the plains 
of southeast Kansas. Here De Soto turned back and 
determined to find the hot springs of which the 
Indians had told him. So, starting a southeasterly 
course he reached the Arkansas River at or near the 
place where Ft. Smith now stands. It was then get- 
ting late in the fall and winter and he decided to 
camp for the winter. Therefore, moving southeast 
about thirty or thirty-five miles, he built an en- 
campment and spent the winter of 1541-42. 

This camp must have been somewhere in the 
north part of Scott County, most likely in the vicini- 
ty of the present post offices of Lucas and lone in 

12 



Logan county. The account of this expedition 
speaks of numerous Indians hving close by his 
camp; and the mounds and burial ground situated 
in close proximity to this supposed site of De Soto's 
camp seem to evidence it as the location of his 
winter quarters. Also, on the old Bagwell farm near 
Lucas, it is said that about fifty years ago there 
were found some old Spanish coins of an early six- 
teenth century mintage, which are supposed to have 
been left by De Soto's expedition. 

During the winter, De Soto lost several men and 
more horses and his conquering host became a 
dispirited band by the time spring opened up and 
they were ready for the resumption of their journey 
to the hot springs. Added to these troubles, his in- 
terpreter died, thus rendering communication with 
the natives difficult if not altogether impos- 
sible. The southward journey was resumed in 
the spring and led through the Petit Jean Pass in the 
Poteau mountains, probably along the course of the 
present Ft. Smith and Waldron road. The journalist 
of the expedition speaks of tlie abundance of game 
and of dense thickets, which were no doubt located 
in the Fourche valley territory. The expedition 
passed near the site of the village of Greenridge, 
then to the Cedar Creek Pass in the south part of 
the country, striking the Ouachita River near where 
the town of Mt. Ida, in Montgomery County, now 
stands. From this point the expedition proceeded 
along the river to the hot springs. 

13 



Thus the members of De Soto's party were the 
first white people to visit the present hmits of 
Scott County. All along the route of the expedition, 
wide detours were made into the surrounding coun- 
try and careful search prosecuted for the precious 
metals. They probably explored the greater part 
of the central and eastern portions of the county. 
The country seems to have been fairly thickly settled 
by the Indians, who appear to have been compara- 
tively prosperous. The expedition had no trouble in 
subsisting on the countrjs for they took from the 
natives food and skins sufficient for their purposes. 

Thus sixty-six years before the English settled 
Jamestown, Scott County had been visited and ex- 
plored by the whites, although it was destined to 
wait nearly three hundred years longer for perma- 
nent settlers. 



14 



CHAPTER III. 
Traders and Hunters 

I. The French 

The French under De Tonti estabhshed a settle- 
ment at Arkansas Post in 1686, which not only was 
the first in the present state of Arkansas but also in 
the entire Mississippi valley. The post thrived and 
had an extensive trade with the Indians of the sur- 
rounding countr3\ These French hunters and trad- 
ers paddled in their frail canoes up th^ Arkansas 
River and the various smaller streanis^liereto,^to 
reach their far flung trading posts. One of the most 
famous of these centers of trade was Belle Point on 
the Arkansas, now known as Ft. Smith. It com- 
manded the trade of the entire country surrounding 
it. From such points the hunters and traders pene- 
trated deeply into the forests in every direction. In 
this manner, Scott County was visited by these early 
French. They also came up the Fourche from the 
post of Little Rock into the present limits of the 
county. The same was true in lesser degree of 
the Poteau River. 

These Frenchmen roamed all over the countiy, 
christening its rivers and mountains and prairies 
with French names that endure to this day. Some of 
these are Point Sucre, or Sugar Loaf Mountain, Mag- 
azine Mountain, Petit Jean River, Fourche La Fave 

15 



River and Poteau River. These were the landmarks 
that guided them through the interminable forests. 
From Belle Point one could see the tall spire of 
Point Sucre uprearing itself into the very heavens. 
Farther east Magazine Mountain was likewise visible 
to a large area. And these mountains beckoned — 
"Something hid behind the ranges 
Go and find it, go and find it." 
These bold and daring adventurers went and 
found, but did not permanently settle the county. 

2. Anglo-Saxons 

The frontier of the Anglo-Saxons was constantly 
being pushed westward. The hardy class of ad- 
venturous hunters was ever penetrating deeper into 
the forests to the west in seach of better hunting 
grounds, or for pure adventure. They were a rug- 
ged type who chafed under the restraints and con- 
ventions of civilization, and found contentment in 
the wild free life of the frontier. They moved over 
the land in covered wagons with very little personal 
or family effects, and "squatted" wherever they 
found conditions suited to their purposes. They 
usually followed the retreating habitat of the game, 
now steadily being pushed westward by the advanc- 
ing tide of civilization. When game became scarce, 
these irresponsible folk simply moved to a new lo- 
cation where it could be found in abundance. 

The territory now comprehended in Scott County 
began to receive some of these squatters as early 

16 



as 1820, although it, had doubtless been visited 
by hunters from the settlements at Ft. Smith, 
Dwight, Little Rock, and other points along the 
Arkansas River several years before. Some of the 
squatters were turned back from their westward 
course in 1820 by the conclusion of a treaty with the 
Choctaw Indians. This treaty provided that in ex- 
change for their lands east of the Mississippi River, 
they would be given lands lying south of the Arkan- 
sas River and west of a line drawn from a point on 
the Arkansas about where Dardanelle now is, to the 
Red River near the present site of Texarkana. Scott 
County lay within this area. The Indians be- 
gan to arrive from the east soon thereafter, and it 
was not long before trouble arose between them 
and the few families of whites resident within the 
limits of these Indian lands. The dissatisfaction 
with this treaty among the whites rapidly assumed 
state wide proportions, and representations were 
made to the national government to have the In- 
dians given lands farther west instead of the tract 
in question. Accordingly, in 1825 the Secretary of 
War concluded a second treaty, by which the west- 
ern boundary of the State was fixed substantially as 
it is today, the Inidans being pushed west of the Po- 
teau and Kiamichi rivers where they have since 
resided. When the new line was drawn, it was found 
that about two hundred families were living west of 
it, most of whom were near the Red River around 
Ft. Towson. Major Bradford, who commanded the 

17 



garrison at Ft. Smith at this time, was ordered to 
remove these settlers. This was done, and they 
were given lands farther east. It is thought that 
perhaps some of these were located in Scott County, 
but no records are available to establish the fact. 
It is very likely, however. These would be the 
first permanent white settlers of the county. 

3. Nuttall's Expedition 

Thomas Nuttall, scientist of Philadelphia, Pa., in 
1819 ascended the Arkansas River to Ft. Smith, care- 
fully noting the topography and fauna and flora of 
the country through which he passed. In his ac- 
count of the journey, he speaks of the abundance 
of game in the Fourche and Petit Jean valleys, and 
saw only a few scattered bands of Indians in the 
whole territory. This is a strange phenomenon. 
When De Soto visited the county two hundred and 
fifty years before, the entire country was thickly 
settled by the natives. Whether they emigrated 
or were visited by plague is not known; the fact 
remains that their numbers were greatly reduced 
during this period of time. 

Further up the river he saw the peak of Maga- 
zine Mountain and made a drawing of it. Arriving 
at Ft. Smith, he found it to consist of the fort and 
barracks for the garrison of seventy-five men. Ma- 
jor Bradford was in command. There was only one 
small log house. Leaving Ft. Smith, he made an 
overland trip to Ft. Towson on Red River, over 
much the same course the old military road sub- 

18 







Map Showing Early Explorations of Scott County 



IS 



sequently took. He speaks of seeing deer feeding 
in daytime on the prairie four or iSve miles from 
Ft. Smith, and when ten miles south of Ft. Smith, 
he camped in clear view of Point Sucre, twenty-five 
miles to the south. Another day's journey brought 
his party to the base of the mountain where he 
camped and noted the Cavianol Mountains to the 
northwest. The Indians had a tradition that the 
immense pile of stone on the summit of this moun- 
tain had been built by their predecessors as a bea- 
con for the tribes of the whole surrounding country. 
Moving on southwest, Nuttall at length crossed the 
Poteau in the vicinity of Howe or Heavener, and 
continued in this direction to his destination. 

About where the Poteau enters Scott County, he 
saw immense herds of bison, which would usually 
stampede at the approach of his party. Wolves, 
deer, bears and panthers were numerous, besides all 
the native lesser animals. He tells the story of 
one of his men coming upon the carcass of a fawn 
lying at the root of a large tree, and beside it was 
the dead body of a wolf. Looking up into the tree 
the man saw the huge panther that had evidently 
done the dual killing. It was presumed that the 
wolf had attempted to feed upon the dead carcass 
when he was set upon and killed by the watching 
panther. 

This scientist carefully noted the Poteau Moun- 
tains and ascertained the fact that they form the 



20 



crest of the divide that separates a wide stretch of 
country on either side. There were no settlers in 
the vicinity of Scott County on the west. 



21 



CHAPTER IV. 
The Formation of the County 

1. Early Political History 

Arkansas was a part of the Louisiana territory 
purchased from France in 1803. In 1812 this im- 
mense domain was divided into the territor}^ of 
Louisiana and the district of New Madrid. In 1819 
Arkansas was detached from the Missouri territory 
and made a separate territor>% with the seat of 
government at Arkansas Post, James Miller was ap- 
pointed governor. Scott County was at first a part 
of Pulaski County, and later successively a part of 
Crawford and Pope counties. 

In 1833, Scott County was formed, being named 
for Judge Andrew Scott. In addition to the region 
now included in the county, it also covered the town- 
ships of Boon, Washburn and Reveille, which have 
since (1875) been cut off" and made a part of Logan 
County. The seat of justice was established at or 
near the present town of Booneville and was known 
as Cauthron. The county officers appointed were 
Elijah Baker, County Judge; S. B. Walker. Clerk; 
James Riley, Sheriff, and J. R. Choate, Coroner. 
These officials held office for a term of two years. 
They were succeeded in 1835 by James Logan, Coun- 
ty Judge; Gilbert Marshall, Clerk; Charles Hum- 
phrey, Sheriff, and Walter Cauthron, Coroner. In 

22 



1836, the state government became effective by the 
admission of Arkansas territory as a state of the 
Federal Union. 

2. Close of Territorial Days 

The census of 1830 was taken while Scott County 
was yet comprehended in the counties of Crawford 
and Pope. The enumerators were James Wilson 
for the Crawford portion and John R. Scott for the 
Pope County part. Only the names of heads of 
families were recorded, the other members of the 
family being merely numbered. The population for 
the parts of the counties later embraced in Scott was 
about 500. Many of these resided in the townships 
of Boon, Washburn and Reveille, not now a part 
of this county. 

But the County was now rapidly filling up with 
people. They came up the Fourche and Petit Jean 
valleys. The completion of the old military road 
from Little Rock to Ft. Smitli in 1824 gave impetus 
to immigration. The settlers came over this road 
to Ft. Smith, then went north and south into the 
surrounding country and found homes. A post 
road was established from Little Rock to Ft. Smith 
during the same year, with post offices at Ft. Smith 
and Dardanelle. The settlers of Scott County 
received their mail from one of these two offices 
prior to 1835. The mail was delivered from the east 
once every two weeks. There was no post office 
in the county before 1835, when tlie first one was 
established at Boone ville with Gilbert Marshall as 

23 



first postmaster. The mail was delivered weekly 
by a post rider from Old D wight near Russell ville. 
David P. Logan was the first carrier. The con- 
tract schedule of mail delivery was as follows: 
From Dwight by Dardanelle to Scott court house, 
seventy-five miles and back once a week. Mail in 
the opposite direction left Scott court house every 
Saturday at eight o'clock in the morning and ar- 
rived at Dwight the following Monday at eleven in 
the morning. 

There was not a church or school in the county 
when the State was admitted to the Union in 1836. 
It is known that rehgious services and private 
schools were sometimes held by itinerant preachers 
and teachers in the homes of the settlers, but no 
organized church or school was in existence. The 
church was even better off than the schools, though, 
for ministers of the gospel were more numerous 
than teachers. Reverend G. W. Sorrels, a Methodist 
minister, preached over the western part of the 
State between the years of 1830 and 1840. He fre- 
quently held services in Scott County, amidst the 
most primitive circumstances. The following is 
a description of general conditions at this time: 

*'James F. Gaines and wife came from Fayette 
County, Tenn., to Scott County in 1837 and settled 
on Fourche River. At that time there were no pub- 
lic roads and few families had found their way to 
the valley. There was no preaching anywhere in all 
that region of country and Mrs. Gaines was the only 

24 



professor of religion in all that country. She had 
been converted at an early age in west Tennessee 
and had enjoyed the advantage of regular religious 
service. The wickedness of this rude population 
was a great trial to this devoted Christian; for such 
was the disregard of the Sabbath that it was the 
principal day for shooting, kiUing beeves, visiting 
and engaging in trade. Two or three times a week 
they would meet for a general carousal. There 
were children grown who did not know what a 
preacher was, so dense was the ignorance of the peo- 
ple on religious questions. At last Mrs. Gaines 
heard that a Methodist preacher would hold services 
nearby. The news was well circulated and the 
whole community came out to see and hear the 
preacher. They listened awhile, then sent their 
children to light their pipes and smoked while the 
sermon was being delivered. After this the circuit 
preacher, Adams, gave them a regular appointment 
for preaching, but very little was accomphshed until 
some Tennessee Methodists came out and settled in 
the community. About 1842, Rev. John Cowle was 
appointed to the Ft. Smith circuit and succeeded in 
estabhshing Methodism in Scott, Sebastian, and 
surrounding counties." 

Travel during this period was over roads newly 
cut out of the forests. There were no bridges and 
frequently the traveler would reach a stream, and 
finding it swollen from heavy rains, would be com- 
pelled to halt and wait for the waters to subside 

25 



before a crossing could be made. These incon- 
veniences of travel were augumented by the pres- 
ence in the forests and thickets of dangerous ani- 
mals, too frequently ready to attack the lonely 
traveler. What roads there were usually followed 
an old Indian trail, and was little more than an 
enlargement of it-. 

The western boundary of the State and County 
was surveyed and fixed by Joseph C. Brown in 1824, 
but was resurveyed again by Henry E. McKee in 
1877, and a slight variation from the former line 
was recorded. This long strip came to be known 
as the "Cherokee Strip." The land survey of the 
county was made between the years 1830 and 1835. 
By this survey the land was divided into sections. 
Many old landmarks of this survey may still be seen 
in the county. 



26 



CHAPTER V. 
New Statehood, 1836-1861 
Before Congress had passed the customary en 
abling act, authorizing preparations for statehood, 
the various counties elected delegates to a constitu- 
tional convention at Little Rock for the purpose of 
drafting a constitution for the state that was to be. 
Scott County elected Gilbert Marshall as its delegate. 
The convention proceeded to frame a constitution, 
which was duly ratified, and Arkansas was admitted 
to the Union on June 15, 1836. In the election that 
ensued thereunder, the following officials were 
elected : 

County Judge Gilbert Marshall 

Clerk — — 

Sheriff Charles Humphrey 

Treasurer Walter Cauthron 

Coroner G. R. Walker 

Surveyor T. J. Garner 

Representative .James Logan 

These men thus became the first elected officials 
of the county under the state government. They 
were all residents of that part of the county after- 
wards detached and added to Logan County. This 
sl'<ov>'s how little influence the remainder of the 
county had in political affairs up to this time, which 
is attributable to the fact that most of the population 

27 



was located around Booneville. But this condition 
was not long to remain so; for immigrants were 
coming in in large numbers. The census of 1840 
showed a population of 1,694. Gilbert Marshall 
was the enumerator. The number of people had 
more than doubled in a period of ten years. 

When the county began to be settled in the central, 
southern, and western parts, the location of the 
county seat at Booneville became inconvenient to 
the majority of the citizens, and in order that it 
might be more centrally located, it was moved to a 
new site on the old Glass farm about two miles 
northeast of where Waldron is now located. The 
new site was named Winfield, although the post 
office at that place, which had been established 
in 1840, was called Poteau Valley. This continued 
to be the seat of the county government until 1845. 
In that year, William G. Featherston, who was deal- 
ing in real estate, offered to donate ten acres for 
the permanent location of the county seat, on con- 
dition that it should be located on his farm. This 
was agreed to and the seat of justice was moved to 
its present site. The name of the town was changed 
to Waldron, and the name of the post office was 
changed to that, also. At this time, there was only 
one house in this vicinity, and this was the residence 
of WilUam G. Featherston. It was a double log 
house, and stood somewhere close to where the 
railroad station is now located. When the post of- 
fice was established in 1840, Featherston became 

28 



the first postmaster. In the same year. Parks post 
office was estabhshed with Fehx G. Gaines as post- 
master. In 1845 an office was set up at TomUnson- 
ville (now Boothe), with Joseph Tomlinson as 
postmaster. Thus the county had three post ofTices 
by 1845. 

The first post road within the present limits of 
the county was laid out in the year 1838. It com- 
menced at Booneville and ran by the sites of Wal- 
dron, Parks, and Zebulon, Pike County, to Wash- 
ington in Hempstead County, a distance of 140 miles. 
Mail was carried on horseback, and the schedule 
provided tiiat it should leave Washington each 
^Wednesday at one o'clock in the afternoon and 
;arrive at Booneville the following Saturday at eight 
p'clock in the afternoon. James F. Gaines was the 
jfirst contractor for this service, and his salary was 
$1,250.00 per annum. Trips were to be made fort- 
nightly. 

Another route was established in 1845 from Ft. 
Smith to Waldron by way of Chocoville (now Mans- 
field), with Elza Harlow as contractor. Mail ser- 
vice was authorized weekly. The salary was $249.00 
per year. 

In 1850 the route from W^aldron to Mt. Ida in 
Montgomery County was put into operation. The 
distance was fifty-two miles, and William Gibson 
was the contractor, at an annual salary of $229.00 
per year. Service was weekly. 

The roads over which these post routes were 

29 




Post Offices and Post Roads in Scott County Before 1850. 



authorized had been cut out a few years before by 
the settlers as they pushed farther into the wilder- 
ness. Even at this time the homes were very few 
and far between, as will be seen by naming the 
settlers along the road from the north part of the 
county to Waldron, about the year 1850. This was 
the most populous part of the county, too, at that 
time. This road came over Black Jack ridge about 
the old Watkins place. The first residence was 
the old Norris home. Two miles south was the 
Sparks farm, now owned by George Sorrels. Then 
came the farms of Thomas GUsson near Pleasant 
Grove church, and the Long place near the Narrows 
of Little Petit Jean. Immediately south of the 
Narrows, lived Andrew Tomlinson, and around 
Boothe was the large landed estate of Joseph Tom- 
linson. The Witt farm was between them. Then 
came the homes of the three Powels beyond the sec- 
ond ford of Petit Jean, now known as the Metcalf 
and Fuller farms. Five miles further south was the 
residence of Dotson Huie, and another mile brought 
one to where Daniel Boultinghouse lived. Three 
miles farther was the Turman place, then that of 
Reed, now the Leming farm, at Waldron. 

In going from where Mansfield now is to Hon 
through the Lookout Gap in the same year, one 
would first pass the residence of Mark Holbert. Two 
miles farther on was the Henley place. No other 
house would be passed until one reached the double 
log house of Jackson Hon on the other side of the 

31 



mountain. The intervening distance was an un- 
broken wilderness. 

Roads had been opened up down the Poteau by 
1850 and also southwest to Blansett. Fourche val- 
ley had several roads by this time, one going to 
Danville in Yell County. But none of these were 
roads in the modern sense of the term. The road 
was like nature left it, except that the trees and 
logs were cut out of the way. Bridges were 
unknown. 

In 1850 there were eight townships in the county 
as follows: 

Hickman Mountain 

La Fayette Tomlinson 

Park Boon 

La Fave Washburn 

The townships of Boon and Washburn have since 
been detached and added to Logan County. The pop- 
ulation according to the census of 1850, as enumerat- 
ed by E. H. Featherston, was 2,937. This of course 
included the people of Boon and Washburn town- 
ships. By the census of 1860, the population was 
given as about 4,500. John A. Fry was the enume- 
rator. These figures indicate that there was almost 
a hundred per centum increase in the population 
during each decennial period. 

The schools and churches of the county had a 
similar growth. In 1840 there was not a single 
school within the present limits of the county. 
About 1847 the common school law was enacted. 

32 



It provided that the sixteenth section of the pubhc 
land should be applied to the support of the public 
schools. School districts were set apart, and in 1850 
the county had six such schools. The following 
were the teachers: 

James M. Vance Hickman Township 

William W. Sorrels Hickman Township 

Franklin Bates Hickman Township 

John H. McLeod Hickman Township 

William H. Thornton Mountain Township 

Luther F. Pollard Tomlinson Township 

In 1860 there were ten pubMc schools, presided 
over by the following teachers: 

B. F. Scaggs Boon Township 

C. M. Trammel Boon Township 

T. F. Hitchcock Boon Township 

Geo. W. Duncan Reveille Township 

Mary Lewis Tomlinson Township 

C. I. Stovall Tomlinson Township 

Thos. I. Price Tomlinson Township 

I. W. Colwell Hickman Township 

John Barnett Hickman Township 

R. B. L. Speaks Hickman Township 

F. A. Taff Hickman Township 

In the above list, it will be noted that the name 

of one woman, Mary Lewis, appears. She taught 
school at Lewis Prairie as early as 1855. In view 
of the modern feminist movement and the conse- 
quent increasingly large share that woman is play- 
ing in the public life of the country, the name of this 

33 



woman teacher stands out prominent. Mary Lewis 
was the county's first pubUc woman. 

By 1860 churches had been estabhshed in nearly 
every community. The itinerant preacher had yield- 
ed to the circuit-riding pastor. The pastor usually 
held services once a month in every church in his 
circuit. The Methodists seem to have been first in 
the county. They established a church on Fourche 
as early as 1842. The other denominations soon 
followed. The services were usually held in the 
district school house, but afterwards log churches 
were erected. 

The resident ministers of the gospel in 1850 were 
as follows: 

Jno. S. Robertson Hickman Township 

Washington Sorrels.—. Hickman Township 

J. W. Taylor Hickman Township 

E. T. Walker Tomlinson Township 

J. V. Whitford Boon Township 

D. F. Anderson Reveille Township 

In addition to these, other noted ministers 
preached occasionally in the county. Some of these 
names are: 

Geo. W. Sorrels 1836 

A. R. Winfield 1852 

Elijah Smoot 1851 

Jesse Griffin 1857 

H, W. Balsh 1843 

J. B. Sheffield 1850 

34 



B. T. Benefield 1858 

Jacob Whitesides 1840 

The following lawyers practiced their profession 

in the county prior to 1860: 

J. K. Raymond Hickman Township 

J. H. Thompson Hickman Township 

G. W. Featherston Hickman Township 

I. C. Read ...Tomlinson Township 

C. H. Hawthorne began the practice of law in 
Tomlinson Township a few years later. 

The merchants of this period were: 

G. W. Featherston Hickman Township 

G. W. Bird Hickman Township 

G. W. Gains Hickman Township 

E. C. Moon Tomlinson Township 

The Bates brothers entered the mercantile busi- 
ness at Waldron a few years later, and their enter- 
prise is still in operation. These early merchants 
did a general mercantile business. In addition to 
the usual stock in trade many of them sold liquor 
also. They "freighted" their goods from Ft. Smith 
or Ozark in wagons. It consisted mostly of flour, 
coffee, sugar, dry goods, ammunition and farming 
implements. Except for these necessaries, nearly 
every farm was economically self-sustaining. 

The physicians of the county before 1860 were: 

E. H. Barnard Mountain Township 

William DuVal Tomlinson Township 

P. C. Bush Tomlinson Township 

35 



0. C. Mitchell Boon Township 

Stephen H. Chism Boon Township 

W. E. Elkins Boon Township 

1. C. Field Parks Township 

G. R. Stanfield La Fave Township 

W. A. Linthicum Boon Township 

I. D. Carlton Reveille Township 

E. H. Dunman Tomlinson Township 

James H. Smith Hickman Township 



36 



CHAPTER VI. 
Period of the Great Civil War 1860-1874 
1. Secession ^ 

Slavery did not exist to any. extent in Scott Coun- 
ty, and for this reason the national agitation of this 
question, which had been rocking the country for 
over a quarter of a century and threatening to dis- 
rupt the Union, was not of a personal character 
with the people of the county. They did not begin 
to think strongly on the subject until confronted 
with the reality of disunion and war. Their sym- 
pathies were for the union of the states, and when 
it came to electing delegates to the state convention 
to determine the attitude and policy of Arkansas in 
the matter, they elected a Union man, E. T. Walker, 
as the delegate from Scott County. This was early 
in 1861. The delegates from all the counties of the 
State met at Little Rock and, after deliberating for 
a short while, adjourned without action other than 
to authorize the president thereof to call the con- 
vention together again if conditions warranted. 
This was done and the convention met in second 
session about the first of May, 1861. The question 
of union or disunion was paramount. On May 6, an 
ordinance of secession was adopted. The county's 
delegate voted for secession, and his action in doing 
so under the circumstances met with the approval 

37 



of the people. They naturally sympathized with 
the South, when the issue became sharply drawn. 

2. Military Events 

As soon as the call for volunteers had been issued, 
the people of the county turned to the grim duties 
of war. A company of seventy-five men was organ- 
ized in early summer. Its ott'icers were G. W. 
Featherston, Captain; J. C. Gibson, First Lieutenant; 
W. F. Patterson, Second Lieutenant, and John Raw- 
lings, Third Lieutenant. This company took part 
in the battle of Oak Hill, after which it was dis- 
banded and its members united with other units. 
It was known as Company D, First Regiment, of 
Arkansas Volunteers. 

Another company under Captain William Patter- 
son was organized in December, 1861, and a third 
under Captain G. W. Featherston in February, 1862. 
This latter was merged with the 19th Arkansas 
under Col. Dawson, and saw extensive service east 
of the Mississippi River. 

Gangs of bushwhackers and marauding bands 
early began terrorizing the county. In September, 
1863, the Federal forces, consisting of the 14th Kan- 
sas cavalry, arrived in the county and marched on 
Waldron. Major Featherston and Captain Isaac Bag- 
well were in command at that place with a small 
guard. In a surprise attack on September 11, the 
Federals captured the Confederate forces and held 
the town. The losses on the Union side were one 

38 




Map Showing Federal Activities in Scott County, 1863-64. 



39 



killed and two wounded. The Confederate losses 
are not known, although Major Featherston was 
seriously wounded. Scouting parties were then 
sent out by the Federals. The first of these went 
down Dutch Creek on December 9, and another 
went from Waldron to Dallas in Polk County on 
Dec. 11, 1863. Still another proceeded from Wal- 
dron to Baker Springs in Howard County through 
the celebrated Forem Gap in January, 1864. This 
last party lost one man killed and one man wounded 
on its journey. Another skirmish occurred at Wal- 
dron on February 1, in which one man was wound- 
ed. After this battle the Federals evacuated Wal- 
dron on Feb, 4, 1864. The Federal forces were com- 
manded by Lieut. Col. Ov^^en A. Bassett, and later 
by Lieut. Col. Searl of Col. James Johnson's Regi- 
ment of First Arkansas Infantry, organized at Fay- 
etteville in March, 1863. Man3'^ citizens of the county 
enlisted with the Union forces after the Federals had 
taken possession of the country. Another battle 
took place at Waldron on Dec. 29, 1864, in which 
two men were killed and six wounded. 

When the Union forces evacuated Waldron, they 
set fire to every house in town except those of Wil- 
liam G. Featherston and Elijah Leming. Feather- 
ston's residence had been the Union headquarters, 
and Leming was thought to be a Federal sympa- 
thizer. His residence was burned after the troops 
had departed, supposedly by Confederate agents. 

On April 9, 1865, Lee surrendered, and the war 

40 



was soon over. The men of local companies were 
disbanded, and those who had been in service in the 
east at length returned to their homes. Peace, with 
its healing processes, was at hand, when the blight- 
ing curse of the war's aftermatli, reconstruction, 
fell upon the people. It was worse for them than 
the war, terrible as that had been, 

3. Women of the War Period 
Most all of the able-bodied men of the county 
were away from their homes during the years of 
the war, in the military service. The only people 
left were the women, children and old men. It 
therefore devolved almost entirely upon the women 
to provide for their family needs, and to keep the 
homes together. This they undertook manfully to 
do. They planted the crops, cultivated them and 
harvested them. They had to go to Ozark or Ft. 
Smith to have the corn or wheat ground into meal 
or flour. They would go in crowds on these duties. 
As many as eleven of these women from Scott alone 
formed one train to Ozark, in the closing days of 
the war. Wagon trains of fewer members were 
more frequent. The women harnessed the teams, 
drove the wagons, and attended to the business of 
the journeys. Added to these hard duties, was the 
larger one of caring for perhaps three of four small 
children. 

These women frequently came together and hved 
in the house of one of their number for the better 



41 



protection of all concerned. The bushwhackers 
made them no end of trouble. They murdered and 
plundered voraciously and indiscriminately. They 
killed old men of seventy who were therefore utter- 
ly harmless from a military point of view. Their 
conduct was of the most ruthless and cruel sort; 
as for instance, at a home in the north part of the 
county, they called out a young husband and uncere- 
moniously shot him. Then they compelled his 
young wife to cook breakfast for them, with his 
dead body lying at the root of a tree close by. It 
then devolved upon the women of the neighbor- 
hood to bur>^ him. 

These maurauders, discountenanced alike by both 
belligerents, also, plundered the homes of the de- 
fenseless women and took their bread. And there 
was no authority to punish the perpetrators of these 
foul deeds. Two of the most noted of these heroic 
women — mothers of heroic sons away in battle — 
were Mrs. Ann Anthony and Mrs. Polly Graves. 
The former lived in the Poteau valley, while Mrs. 
Graves lived on Lewis Prairie in the north part of 
the county. They both labored unceasingly in the 
war services of their communities. 

4. New Constotutions 
When the Federal forces had wrested the north- 
ern half of the State from the Confederacy, a pro- 
visional government loyal to the Union was estab- 
lished by groups of the citizens, and was recognized 

42 



by President Lincoln. A new constitution was 
adopted in 1864, recognizing the abolition of slavery. 
Scott County's delegate to this convention was Elijah 
Leming. This reinstatement of the State to its for- 
mer status in the Union is known as presidential re- 
construction. 

The mild policies of Lincoln were not to prevail, 
however. After his death in 1865, the radicals in 
Congress obtained the upper hand, and a new re- 
construction of the State was ordered. A new con- 
stitution was adopted in 1868. Charles H. Oliver 
was the delegate from Scott County. 

About 1872 the Federal soldiers who had formed 
the main support of the carpet bag government in 
the State after the war were withdrawn and self- 
government restored to the peoplie. Accordingly, 
a new constitution, based upon this wider freedom 
was adopted in 1874. J. W. Sorrels represented the 
county in this convention. This constitution is the 
organic law of the State today. A new one was 
formed in 1918, but failed of ratification by the peo- 
ple. The delegate to this last convention was W. A. 
Bates. 



43 



CHAPTER VII. 
The Scott County War, 1874-1879 

The people were forgetting the horrors of the 
great war with its train of evils and were settling 
back into tlieir peaceful occupations, when the coun- 
ty began to take on the appearance of a lawless com- 
munity. For a period of about five years, commenc- 
ing in 1874, a condition of affairs bordering on an- 
archy prevailed. Murders were frequent, and the 
perpetrators went unpunished; property was in- 
secure, and there was no rehef; and the citizens 
vv^ere for a time helpless before the lawless elements. 

The first instance of this state of affairs was the 
killing of a negro on Lewis Prairie in 1874. Sus- 
picion attached itself to certain persons of the neigh- 
borhood, but they were never apprehended. In May, 
1874, Jacob Jones was killed at Waidron. During 
the winter of 1874-75, C. Malone was clandestinely 
shot, and former sheriff, Nathan A. Floyd, was 
charged with being the guilty party. He was in- 
dicted, tried and acquitted. Malone had formerly 
acted with Floyd as a Repubhcan, but now a rift 
had appeared between them. On March 11, 1875, 
J. H. Nichols, a negro who resided near Waidron, 
was killed in the road about a half mile south of 
that town. Two other negroes, David and Henry 



44 



Carroll were arrested, charged with this crime. 
They were tried and acquitted. 

The series of murders and defeated justice aroused 
the county, and public sentiment demanded that 
this lawlessness be brought to an end. Instead of 
this, later in March of the same year another negro 
was shot and no arrests made. The sheriff, F. C. 
("Buck") Gaines, seemed to be unable to cope with 
the situation. 

The whole trouble apparently had its base in a 
feud between two factions, viz: the Gilbreaths, 
Bates and Malones on one side and N. A. Floyd and 
his followers on the other. In the spring of 1875, 
Peter K. Beam, a friend of the former faction, noti- 
fied Floyd that he (Floyd) was to be assassinated 
and claimed that he had been offered a large sum of 
money to kiU him but had refused. He was then 
requested to testify as to this matter before the grand 
jury, but refused on the ground that he would be 
killed if he did so. He was killed in his field soon 
thereafter. 

Floyd's life was again threatened, as was also 
that of McClure, his partner. Soon after a man 
named Russell was killed. A short time before, he 
had stated that an effort had been made to induce 
him to kill Floyd. A few days after this statement 
had been made, a man approached him on the 
street near the courthouse and invited him to go 
into the courthouse to play a game of cards. He 
accepted and when he entered the building, he was 

45 



incontinently shot. There were several persons 
present at the time, but no evidence could be ob- 
tained to fix the guilt of the crime. The citizens 
were either aligned with one or the other of the 
factions, or were else afraid to reveal a knowledge of 
the facts. Floyd then left the county, going to Mis- 
souri. He had been engaged in the mercantile 
business since retiring from political office, and 
after leaving, he hired two men named Martin 
and Hill to prepare his effects for shipment. While 
engaged in this duty, they were both shot. Mean- 
while court convened, and Judge Joyner held the 
session surrounded by an armed mob. 

The citizenry demanded that steps be taken to re- 
store law and order in the county. The sherift' 
appealed to the governor for aid, and the adjutant 
general of the State, Gen. Carroll D. Wood, was 
sent to the county. Order was apparently restored 
and the trouble settled. 

The disorder again broke out in June, 1867, when 
the residence of Judge Frank Fuller was shot into 
by two men, and Judge Fuller wounded. In Au- 
gust, two men on the Floyd side were murdered. 
The sheriff again asked the governor for aid, and 
Gen. Robert C. Newton was dispatched to Waldron. 
He set about organizing the militia, and by the last 
of August, 1876, he placed a company of fifty men 
under Col. Hooper on duty, and the reign of terror 
ceased temporarily. 

Early in the summer of 1877, J. L. ("Shabe") 

46 



Davenport shot at Judge Fuller, but a bystander 
knocked the pistol upward and no one was killed. 
The August term of court was approaching, and 
Judge John H. Rodgers was warned not to attempt 
to convene court. But he persisted and held the 
session. J. D. McCabe was the prosecuting attorney 
at the time. Great excitement prevailed all over 
the county. The sheriff was panicky, and begged 
the governor to send state troops to his aid. Drs. 
Caruthers and Bell, T. G. Bates and the sheriff fled 
the county for safety. The sheriff continued his 
weak and persistent pleas to the governor for help. 
He finally came back to Parks where he established 
his headquarters. Meanwhile, the county had been 
divided into two militia districts, known as the 
northern district and the southern district. The 
militia of the north had been organized into a com- 
pany of one hundred men under Col. J. W. Sor- 
rels. His assistants were Capt. H. W. Dixon and 
Capt. J. M. Williams. These companies were ready 
for duty in August, 1877. 

The southern militia was organized under Col. 
Joshua M. Smith. His assistants were Captains A. 
Lunsford, William Mankin and W. R. Cox. The 
company consisted of seventy-five men, raised in 
Mountain Township and vicinity. At this juncture 
General Pomeroy, new State adjutant general, took 
up his residence at Waldron. He ordered the militia 
under Col. Smith to Waldron to protect the spring 
session of circuit court (1878). This term of court 

47 



adjourned without accomplishing much toward re- 
estabhshing peace and quiet in the county. 

The already tense excitement of the people was 
further intensified by the murder, on Feb. 6, 1878, of 
J. L. Davenport, better known as "Shabe" Daven- 
port. He was shot at Waldron, apparently from 
an upstairs window. He and his family were well 
known and prominent in the north part of the 
county, and his murder caused a frenzy of anger 
to sweep over this part of the county. The citizens 
resolved to take affairs into their own hands. They 
had waited vainly for an orderly process of the 
courts to establish peace and quiet, but had been 
disappointed. About a hundred of them formed a 
mob to go to Waldron to set the affairs of the county 
in order. They met at Lookout Gap, north of Hon, 
and from this rendezvous they started for Waldron, 
but found the Poteau River unfavorable and were 
forced to turn back to their homes. This was a 
fortunate occurrance for all concerned, for the citi- 
zens of Waldron had been informed of the intended 
attack and had fortified the town strongly in a man- 
ner to make it impregnable. The sheriff also em- 
ployed the militia at that place to this end. Much 
bloodshed would inevitably have resulted had the 
march of the citizen mob not been halted. 

The action of the citizenry of the north in form- 
ing this mob served to emphasize the gravity of the 
situation and the necessity for a thorough investi- 
gation of the causes of the disorder, and punishment 

48 



of those responsible for it. The governor thereupon 
ordered a company of Frankhn County mihtia, 
under Col. J. P. Falconer, into Scott County to as- 
sure the orderly operation of the courts. The mih- 
tia of the county was so completely aligned with 
one or the other of the two factions that it could 
not be so employed. 

Attorneys H. F. Thomason and Walker were re- 
tained by the State to assist the prosecuting attorney 
to thoroughly probe the causes of the existing dis- 
order. Their fee was $3,000.00. Eleven prisoners, 
including the county clerk and other leading citi- 
zens, were to stand trial. The sheriff, Gaines, was 
also ordered to be arrested, and William Chitwood 
made the arrest. The trials were held before Justice 
Blevins at Old Cedar Grove. The court was guarded 
by the assembled militiamen. After a heated trial, 
amidst tense feelings, all the prisoners were acquit- 
ted, and returned to their homes. 

The lawlessness then gradually came to an end. 
Some of the leaders fled the country, some had been 
killed and others were ready to become again law- 
abiding citizens. 

The fundamental cause of the disorder was the 
deep-seated desire of the people to rid themselves 
of an alieii government, which had been fastened 
upon them during the early days of Reconstruction. 
Carpetbag government was distasteful and the peo- 
ple did not feel free until it had been overthrown. 
The anarchic state of aff'airs gave the county much 

49 



unfavorable advertisement and left the treasury de- 
pleted. The county has only recently recovered 
from its blighting effects. 



50 



CHAPTER VIII. 
Growth and Development, 1880 
After the turmoil of the factional strife had ended, 
the people once more turned their faces toward 
the future in a steady internal development. No 
great outstanding event occurred during this period 
but there was symmetrical progress — progress in 
all lines of activity that made for the betterment of 
hving conditions of the poeple. 

I. Post Offices and Postal Routes 
In 1870, there were six post offices within the 
present boundaries of the county, located at the fol- 
lowing places: 

Black Jack Parks 

Boles Waldron 

Nebraska Olio 

Since that time other offices have been established 
until at this time there are over twenty-five in the 
county. These are all fourth class offices except 
Waldron, which is a third class office. 

The following table will show how the mail was 
delivered to these post offices: 



From 


To 


Length 


Frequency 


Contractor 


Salary 


Ft. Smith 


Waldron 


.% mi. 


Weekly 


.1. C. Gibson 


$227.00 


Ft. Smith 


Black Jack 


:56 mi. 


Weekly 


J. Stephens 


220.40 


Danville 


Waldron 


55 mi. 


Weekly 


J. C. Gibson 


224.00 


Danville 


Parks 


65 mi. 


Weekly 


J. F. Perry 


275.00 


Waldron 


Slosson's 


200 mi. 


Weekly 


John Gable 


148.00 


Mt. Ida 


Waldron 


52 mi. 


Weekly 


G. Whittington 


249.00 



51 



The first rural free delivery service in the county 
was established out of Abbott post office on April 1, 
1908. Walter Jones was the first carrier. The sec- 
ond route was established out of Waldron a few 
years later, with W. R. Cox as the carrier. This 
service has been extended until a large number of 
the post offices are now supplied in this manner. 

2. Roads and Bridges 

Closely allied with the establishment of the post 
roads of the county was the construction and main- 
tenance of a system of public highways. The coun- 
ty has not been fortunate in this matter. The roads 
were first cut out of the forests by the settlers with- 
out reference to scientific principles of road building. 
A road was made whenever and wherever the settler 
wished to go. They usually follow^ed an old Indian 
or buffalo trail, and were not thought of as being 
the foundation of a future highway system. 

But with the great increase in population, it be- 
came necessary to recognize certain lines of travel 
as county roads, to be maintained at public ex- 
pense. The maintenance of the roads took the 
form of the employment of free labor. A road 
overseer was appointed in each township to super- 
vise the road work in his territory. Every male be- 
tween the ages of twenty-one and forty-five years 
was required to work a certain number of days per 
year. By this method the roads were maintained. 
Recently a road tax has been levied for the definite 

52 



purpose of affording funds with which to hire labor 
and purchase materials for use on the public roads. 

The first bridges in the county were private enter- 
prises, chartered by the Slate and constructed by 
private capital. Toll was charged all who used the 
bridge. One of the earliest and most used of these 
was Trotter's bridge on the Ft. Smith and Waldron 
road near Boothe. It was built about forty years 
ago by W. L. Trotter, who kept it in operation until 
a few years ago. 

The first constructive road-building campaign was 
inaugurated by Judge A. F. Smith in 1914. Steel 
bridges were erected over the Petit Jean, Poteau and 
Fourche rivers. So much enthusiasm was aroused 
by these improvements that the county embarked 
upon a larger and more comprehensive bridge- 
building program. During Judge Payne's terms of 
orlice, 1916-1920, road bonds \vere iloated to the ex- 
tent of $100,000.00, the proceeds of which were to 
be used for improving the highways and for building 
bridges. These improvements were never made. 
But the funds are gone, and the county was plunged 
in debt for nearly the entire amount of the bonds. 
Judge Payne resigned his office and removed from 
the county. He has since been indicted by the grand 
jury. 

3. Schools and Churches 
The number of the public schools has kept pace 
v/ith the growth in population. In 1860 there were 
only ten. Now there are nearly one hundred. The 

53 



crude log school house has been supplanted by the 
modern frame building, with good equipment and 
apparatus. In a large number of the districts more 
than one teacher is employed. Some of the earlier 
teachers of this period were: 

Philip B. Young Brawley Township 

James D. Bradburn Mountain Township 

Stephen Graves Lewis Township 

Prominent teachers later in this period were: G. 
E. Henderson, H. J. Hall, J. Y. Payton, J. W. Mc- 
Nutt, W. W. Lundy, J. D. Little, G. G. Ellis, Wesley 
Gardenhire, B. A. Thompson, Mrs. A. F. Smith, Mrs. 
G. Henderson, J. L. Hough, N. O. Tatf, Mattie Stone, 
Mrs. Etta Pledger, J. W. Black, Utie Alexander and 
E. Holland. 

Ghurches have been established in every com- 
munity. The Methodists, Baptists, Ghristians and 
Presbyterians are the leading denominations. No 
Gatholic or Jewish church has ever been erected 
within the limits of the county. 

4. Newspapers 

The first newspaper to be published in the county 
was called the Beformer. Publication of this jour- 
nal at Waldron was begun in 1874 by W. R. Allison. 
It appeared for about a year, when the printing out- 
fit was removed to Booneville. 

In 1887 P. G. Stone started the Gitizen. It was Re- 
publican in politics. In 1890 the plant was sold to 
M. Keener, and A. G. Leming became editor. It 

54 



continued for about a year under the new manage- 
ment, when it was purchased by the Reporter. 

Another newspaper called the Vindicator ran for 
a short time in 1897. 

A paper known as the Wasp was started by H. N. 
Smith about 1905. It was a fiery controversial peri- 
odical, and under the inspiration of its able editor 
it became one of the leading county papers of 
western Arkansas. It was also purchased by the 
Reporter in 1908. 

The Sentinel was also founded by Judge Smith at 
Waldron in 1910. It was a paper much like the 
Wasp had been, its editorial opinion being largely 
a reflection of the political views and predilections of 
its editor. It was sold to W. E. Baker in 1912, who 
merged it with the Advance-Reporter. 

The Scott County Record, one of the papers now 
in existence at Waldron, was started in 1915 by W. 
E. Baker. He sold it in 1920 to A. F. Smith, who 
became its editor. 

The oldest paper in the county is the Advance- 
Reporter. It was started at Waldron in 1878 by 
S. H. Farley, and has been issued continuously since 
that date. Its editors have been S. H. Farley, M. M. 
Beavers, J. M. Harvey, Hubert J. Hall, W. E. Baker 
and J. B. Cox. It is now pubhshed by J. B. Cox and 
son. 

5. Towns and Villages 

Waldron was incorporated in 1875. After it was 
burned during the factional strife, new and better 

55 



buildings were erected. Brick business houses took 
tlie places of the frame structures that were burned. 
The first hotel in the town and county was the old 
Featherston Inn near the railroad station. About 
1875 the Malones erected a more modem hotel which 
is still in business. It played an important part in 
the Scott County war. Adjutant General Pomeroy 
in 1878-1879, made it his headquarters while in 
charge of the militia. It was thus referred to as 
"Pomeroy's Citadel." 

When the tow^n was burned during the Civil War, 
the court house and all the county records were lost. 
No effort was made to rebuild it until in 1904. Dur- 
ing the administration of Judge H. N. Smith a mod- 
ern building was erected with fireproof vaults for 
housing the official records. 

Mansfield on the northern boundary line is an 
important shipping point. When the Frisco rail- 
road was built in 1885, only a post office and a gen- 
eral store were located in this vicinity. The post 
office was known as Chocoville, and Marion Watts 
had been postmaster and merchant. Soon the town 
of Mansfield grew up and is now a well-constructed, 
incorporated town. Its growth was further in- 
creased by the building of the Rock Island railroad 
through this part of the county in 1899. The Arkan- 
sas Western railroad was constructed to Waldron in 
1902. 

Villages are numerous throughout the county. 



56 



Some have high schools and others have very good 
graded schools. 

6. Definition of County Boundaries 
Scott County was formed on November 5, 1833, 
by act of the territorial legislature. The boundaries 
were first defined on October 24, 1835. On Decem- 
ber 16, 1838, the boundary between Scott and Craw- 
ford was defined. The townships of Boon, Wash- 
burn and Reveille were added to Logan County 
March 21, 1873. By act of the legislature in 1903, a 
further annexation was made to Logan County. 



57 



APPENDICES 



59 



APPENDIX I. 
Heads of Families in Scott County in 1830. 



Jesse Southern 
Thomas Hixon 
John B. Walker 
William Kenner 
Gilbert Marshall 
William Hicklin 
John Titsworth 
Arthur Hix 
John G. Oliver 
Charles Wolf 
A. Mitchell 
Margaret Fort 
Isaac Mitchell 
George Caulk 
Henry Davis 
Robert Scott 
Joshua Hudson 
Edward Davis 
William Wood 
John Price 
Rebecca Wells 
George Grounds 
William Scott 
David Fort 
David Titsworth 
Nancy Kuykendall 
Jesse Noakes 
Ann McLean 
Elijah Edwards 
Jacob Reader 
Spear Titsworth 
Nancy Williams 
John Sexton 
Is Baker 
John Clem 
John Moore 
Nancy Featherston 
William Featherston 
William Sinclair 



Thomas Sinclair 
Thomas C. Sinclair 
Webster McCastlin 
John St. Clear 
Dryden Wilkins 
Jesse Barnett 
BoUy Williams 
William Caughron 
Thomas Humphreys 
Hugh Gilbreath 
Jacob Hale 
John Hale 
Jacob Ring 
George Frazer 
Henry Frazer 
John Fisher 
George Gold 
William Anthony 
Charles D. Humphrey 
John Piles 
Sam Lemons 
George Williams 
Thomas Piles 
James Long 
E. G. Haines 
K. Tomlinson 
James Tomlinson 
Cyrus Parks 
William Rose 
John Plemmons 
David Castleberry 
Peter Tomlinson 
H. Tidwell 
Esom Tidwell 
Isaac Lindsey 
John J. Hammond 
Celia Mayes 
John Palmer 
Enos Hughes 



60 



Robert Mayes Sam W'^>-land 

Hartwell Howard Wesley Garrett 

Charles Atkins Jonathan Logan 

James Hodges William Rhoads 

Matthew Mayes James Riley 

Bartley McEmmelly William Moad 

John Ross James Matthews 

James Standefer Isaac Miers 

Joseph A. Meal John Gofford 

John Davis Stephen Gofford 
Issac Barnett 



61 



APPENDIX II. 
Heads of Families in Scott County in 1840. 



John Sexton 
John Riley 
William Garner 

D. M. Morrison 
William Patterson 
Charles Hodges 
James Anderson 
William Ellington 

A. H. Kuykendall 
Charles Logan 
Josiah Buckner 
Calvin Jackson 
Grieff Chambles 
Aaron Chambles 
Jesse Gravson 

E. W. Davis 

B. Dailey 
Joel Williams 
William Hunt 
William Tidwell 
Jefferson Rhoen 
William Boylin 
R. Lamb 

J. R. Choate 
George Carroll 
Joseph Tomlinson 
James Sorrels 
Russel Easton 
Isaiah Harper 
William Anthony 
William G. Featherston 
Aaron Harlan 
Daniel Boultinghouse 
James Boultinghouse 
Harrison Huie 
J. H. Dupree 
Levi Brawley 
Finis Farmer 
J. H. Davis 



Dennis Boultinghouse 
Henry Frazer 
Jackson Hon 
Jesse Anthony 
W. D. Whitmeyer 
John Barnett 
Wesley P. Teat 
James Stewart 
Richard Hines 
William Hull 
J. P. Moore 
Elizabeth Grayson 
Catharine Grayson 
R. J. Cooks 
Marcus Stafford 
N. Hixon 
O. L. Davis 
Isaiah Barnett 
Allen Thompson 
J. G. Thompson 
William Miller 
Enos Haines 
Pleasant Robinson 
John Herren 
J. D. Harris 
Jeff Gofford 
William Spillers 
Jonathan Parker 
H. Dailey 
Mih Bilbreath 
James Taylor 
Solomon Baker 
John W. Cannon 
Jeff George 
Wkilter Haney 
Elijah Garner 
James Spillers 
Jacob Ring 
John Hunt 



62 



William Burns 
Daniel Hunt 
William Hunt 
Thomas Williams 
David Williams 
J. H. Morris 
Walter Terrell 
James Bonegler 
V, Stewart 
Chris Griffith 
J. H. Taylor 
James Johnson 
T. F. Taylor 
Joseph Griffith 
E. Arnold 
James Dennis 
William Stewart 
William Riley 
John W^eaver 
Wesley Wheat 
J. G. Garrett 
H. Copeland 
Wiley Tomlinson 
Bazlen Underwood 
Joseph Fisher 
Jesse Fisher 
John Marshall 
John Ivey 
James A. Hendrick 
H. Arrington 
George Williams 
James Long 
Robert R. Duncan 
E. King 

Thomas Glisson 
Ezekiel Williams 
Elias Phipps 
John Doyle 
H. A. Patterson 
Mack Wilmeth 
Thomas Kamplain 
Gilbert Marshall 
Robert Petitt 
Silas Hart 
Jonathan Logan 
John Newman 
Thomas Brown 



63 



Andrew Scagg 
Edward Riley 
Joseph Patterson 
Robert Hammond 
William Kenner 
J. P. Click 
J. A. Morrison 
W. C. May 
Walter Cauthron 
F. E. Anthony 
J. F. Gaines 
William H. Shelton 
John Wood 

C. Davis 
Edward Lamb 
Z. Garner 
James Miller 
Cyrus Park 
James Hall 
Sam Snowden 
Gil Cribby 

J. O. Logan 
Wiley Davis 
Jacob Pierson 
B. McAnnally 
Sarah Swainey 
Jsaiah Hickerson 
Theo P. Sadler 
John Lee 
William Stewart 
Miles Ladd 
William Scott 
Hester Ladd 

D. Choate 
D. Burns 

Benjamin McDaniel 
H. Dailey 
William Cornelius 
Absalom Cornelius 
A. Reese 

Joseph Gault 
James Jackson 
Edmund Brewer 
Robert Jackson 
James Biggs 
W. K. Davis 
Henry Stobuck 



L. Hopper 

D. Wallis 
Gilmore Hopper 
J. B. Biggs 
William Poor 
Ann McLean 
Nancy Blagg 
John Wilson 
John Sharp 
William Graham 
William Underwood 

E. Underwood 
Elizabeth Britt 
Doctor Cribbs 
D. C. W. James 
George Wilson 



J. T. Sadler 
Signal Hoover 
Rebecca Bateman 
John Williams 
Reuben Hettall 
Martha McMurry 
Isaac Riley 
J. P. Hoover 
John Riley 
G. Jackson 
John Scott 
James Logan, Sr. 
James Logan, Jr. 
William Meads 
William Rhoads 
William Lewis 



64 



APPENDIX III. 

Roster of Company D, First Regiment of Arkansas 
Volunteers. Raised in Scott County, 1861. 

COMMISSIONED OFFICERS 

G. W. Featherston, Capt. W. F. Patterson, 2nd Lieut. 

J. C. Gibson, 1st Lieut. John Rawlings, 3rd Lieut. 

NON-COMMISSIONED OFFICERS 

P. N. Lewis, 1st Sergt. Isaac Patterson, 1st Corp. 



Harrison Glass, 2nd Sergt. 
S. L. Easters, 3rd Sergt. 
A. E. Frizzell, 4th Sergt. 



.foel F. Smith, 2nd Corp. 
John B. Graves, 3rd Corp. 
Robert Hall, 4th Corp. 



PRIVATES 



B. E. Brasher 
Dennis Boultinghouse 
Daniel Baxter 
S. B. Baxter 
William M. Blythe 
T. D. Bowers 
James Boultinghouse 
James Caviness 
James Davis 
Francis Dalton 
Henry J. Fry 
James M. Head 
Jackson P. Head 
Felix G. Hawkins 
Francis P. Holly 
James Newman 
Robert N. Johns 
Hiram Jones 
Thomas B. Jones 
James Kincaid 
Mark McMullin 
Sam W. Perkins 
James McMullins 
Hobert P. Park 
Thomas Parks 
B. F. Smith 
John W. Salley 
William P. McCauley 
Jackson Chandler 
William Ford 
Junis G. Whittington 



Wilev A. Tomlinson 
(;. A.^Torbett 
John C. Wood 
Jesse F. Wall 
Jesse R. Skinner 
Ox-ew T. Wisdom 
Isaac Lucas 
Sam W. Johnson 
Samuel Dark 
Mark Graves 
B. W. Holston 
James A. Chitwood 
William H. Crawford 

D. C. Cameron 
James Vandigriff 
James Brasher 
(ieorge Smith 
(iilbert M. Shelby 
William A. Walls 
John Dollins 

F. M. Featherston 

E. H. Dunman 
Beverly Young 
William Young 
William Rowland 
William Garrison 
William Colman 
Leon Glass 
William Richey 
John Tanner 

L. H. Marrs 



65 



APPENDIX IV. 

Names of Scott County Men Who Participated in 

the World War. 



Sidney Lee King 
Herbert Stewart 
Guy G. May 
Sam Jones 
George A. Phillips 
Roy D. Payne 
Harry Earl Oxford 
Jesse Martin Bell 
William I. Watts 
Grover M. Wiles 
Charlie M. Calor 
James W. Sorrels 
Charley I. Nix 
Henry E. Oliver 
Samuel J. Vaughn 
Dennis T. Huddleston 
Charles W. Webb 
William B. Maxwell 
Lee Wesley Crawl 
Jesse Lee Higgins 
John Sherman Osborn 
Granville G. Coplan 
Walter C. Maxfield 
Allen Roscoe Gentry 
Reuben D. Caskey 
Ray Dailey 
Henry H. Tolleson 
Robert Deming 
Herschel M. Upchurch 
William W. Lynch 
George Syler 
George Newton Miller 
John Coplan 
Malcom C. Bird 
Newton Boyett 
Jesse B. Tucker 
Floyd W. Powell 
M. C. Ross 



Jay T. Floyd 
Dewitt T. Lancaster 
Frank D. Caler 
Henry Dobbs 
WilliaTn M. Ayers 
Arthur L. Sherrill 
Henry Stephen Hale 
Robert W. Blackman 
William L. Hawthorne 
Victor L. Williams 
Henry C. McNutt 
Cole Y. Ellis 
James Stephen Rose 
Jesse Frank Phillips 
George A. Miller 
Add Roper 
James L. Mitchell 
Albert B. Stewart 
Lowell Owens 
Ernest W. Reed 
Thomas F. Mays 
Cheves F. Barnes 
Andrew Callahan 
James A. Hancock 
Hallie Hartwell 
James F. Ferguson 
Earl S. Boyer 
Bailus J. Rowland 
Lonza Rhodes 
Grover J. Williams 
William Rigley 
Columbus C. Bruton 
Riley F. Bennett 
James E. McCafferty 
Ben F. Jones 
James H. Aynes 
Sherman B. Atwood 
Oscar Elmer Mize 



Oscar Warren 
John J. Hedgepath 
Joe L. Vise 
Jim Bell 
Bud HoUiman 
William T. Boyett 
Leo A. Ferry 
James W. Davis 
Robert DeFoor 
Andrew J. Sherrill 
Edward B. Plummer 
Lee Patterson 
Charles R. Martin 
Isaac Rains 
James E. Hayes 
Leslie S. Tomlinson 
Hugh Gaines 
Tom B. Hawkins 
Jim Speaks 
Elmer G. Pitts 
James L. Robson 
Alvin W. Epperson 
Zelmar S. Watts 
Regland Greer 
John L Watson 
Omer Cheek 
Lynn L. May 
George P. Nolan 
Charles Preston Allen 
Martin L. Bond 
Otto Strickland 
Jess D. Langston 
Gen. Grant Blackwell 
Robert D. Limbocker 
Harvey C. Goodman 
William W. Cross 
Andrew L. Hunt 
Luther H. Curtis 
James A. Parson 
Car Brown 
James H. Pearson 
Ben F. Ford 
David H. Bacon 
C. W. Edward McClure 
Miles H. Hill 
John P. Wiles 
R. D. Rose 

67 



John W. Gwin 
Fred H. Millard 
Fred Dunn 
Idis Lee Dunn 
Howell Shores 
Ottie Waldo Hunt 
Boyd P. Nored 
John H. McClain 
Richard E. Duffy 
James F. Jett 
John Brasher 
Grady B. Pitts 
Will Campbell 
James E. Ridgway 
S. Wallace Pitts 
Albert F. Foster 
Sterling Lacefield 
George H. Page 
Elmer F. Bond 
Jeff Jett 

James W. Epperson 
George Scroggins 
Otis P. Rowland 
William A. Brixey 
Richard M. Jones 
Carman Bethel 
John J. Holleman 
Jacob R. Huckaby 
Addius Black 
Charles B. Bickle 
James W. Dedman 
Auxie H. Hunter 
Albert F. Abbott 
John Dee Alley 
Robert L. Neely 
O. C. Richmond 
Arthur Franklin 
Cleaver N. Harrison 
Murphy C. Maddox 
Hubert S. Sanford 
Heeda D. Coker 
Bratcher E. Park 
Orville M. Strickland 
Basil S. Drewery 
Clarence Logan 
Greene B. Hawthorne 
James E. Lewis 



Harrison E. Ellis 
Columbus Nichols 
Johnson Rennick 
Lester Stewart 
Joe Henry McGlain 
Raymond C. Frazier 
Lamar J. Higgins 
George Sparks 
Hobart Richmond 
Robert L. xMcCafferty 
Newton Foster 
Tie Kemp 
Elmer N. Wilson 
Aud Plummer 
Clyde H. Davis 
Martin A. Dedman 
William M. Dozier 
George S. Booker 
William E. Mankin 
William H. Billings 
Roy D. Ford 
Roy Beatty 
Clifton Scott 
Robert A. Beasley 
Columbus C. Titsworth 
Virgil R. Piles 
Bryant Denton 
Ben L. Ayers 
Granville Richmond 
Noah E. Rainwater 
Sherman M. Rupe 
George Walker 
Anderson Oglesby 



Joseph M. Davenport 
Roy Mackenzie 
Marvin E. Goff 
Andrew F. Buland 
Andrew Smith 
Samuel T. Lewis 
Grady Cole 
William F. Bennett 
Elmer F. Bowden 
William S. Piles 
Thomas L. Powell 
Bernard Robertson 
William C. Rowton 
Chester J. Brown 
James V. Basinger 
Ester Hunt 
Andrew FF. Buland 
George Cockrell 
William Condry 
James Cockrell 
Charles H. Payton 
Henry G. McCutchen 
Louis E. Payton 
Claud Smith 
N. O. Taff 
Oscar Abbott 
Parks Jones 
Horace Looper 
Lyndon L. Casey 
Earl Graves 
Clive Harger 
John Pennington 



68 



APPENDIX V. 
County Officers. 



1833-35 



County Judge Elijah Baker 

Clerk S. B. Walker 

SheriflF James Riley 

Coroner J. R. Choate 

1835-36 

County Judge James Logan 

Clerk Gilbert Marshall 

Sheriff Charles Humphrey 

Coroner W. Cauthron 

1836-38 

County Judge Gilbert Marshall 

Clerk — — 

Sheriff Charles Humphrey- 
Treasurer W. Cauthron 

Coroner G. R. Walker 

Surveyor T. J. Gamer 

Representative James Logan 

1838-40 

County Judge — — 

Clerk W. Kenner 

Sheriff Charles Humphrey 

Treasurer W. Cauthron 

Coroner J. R. Choate 

Surveyor T. J Garner 

Representative Gilbert Marshall 

1840-42 

County Judge — — 

Clerk S. H. Chism 

Sheriff Wm. Garner 

Treasurer Jesse Perkins 

Coroner H. A. Patterson 

Surveyor T. J Garner 

Representative J- ^- ^*^^^^ 

*^ S. Humphrey 

1842-44 

County Judge Levi Bradley 

Clerk E. H. Featherstoii 

Sheriff J. B. Garrett 

Treasurer — — 

Coroner Geo. Carroll 

Surveyor W, Wheat 

Representative ^ F- Gaines 

A. Thompson 



1844-46 

County Judge Wm. Kenner 

Clerk John Baxter 

Sheriff A. Harland 

Treasurer G. W^ Read 

Coroner James Stewart 

Surveyor J. Anthony 

Representative — — 

1846-48 

County Judge Elijah Arnold 

Clerk Wm. Kenner 

Sheriff J. B. Garrett 

Treasurer G. W. Read 

Coroner James Stewart 

Surveyor J. Anthony 

Representative ...E. H Featherston 

1848-50 

Comity Judge M. H. Blue 

Clerk J. B. Garrett 

Sheriff J. R. Baxter 

Treasurer J. M. Swinney 

Coroner W. Hodge 

Surveyor Charles Cauthron 

Representative M. Gilbreath 

1850-52 

County Judge J. H. Tliompson 

("lerk W^m. Kenner 

Sheriff J. R. Baxter 

Treasurer J. M .Swinnev 

Coroner W. B. Carr 

Surveyor E. H. Featherston 

Representative— .Charles Cauthron 

1852-54 

County Judge J. R. RavmoncJ 

Clerk Wm. Kenner 

Sheriff R. C. Reed 

Treasurer J. M. Swinney 

Coroner A. Kuykendall 

Surveyor S. H. Powell 

Representative M. Gilbreath 

1854-56 

County Judge W. E. Elkins 

Clerk E. H. Featherston 

Sheriff R. C. Reed 

Treasurer T. I. Gates 

Coroner Drew Choate 

Surveyor W. T. Dollins 

Representative James Logan 



69 



1856-58 

County Judge J. H. ForLet 

Clerk J. C. Gibson 

Sheriff Wm. Gibson 

Treasurer J. C. Moles 

Coroner John Pace 

Surveyor W. T. Dollins 

Representative J. F. Lee 

1858-60 

County Judge H. Hine 

Clerk J. C. Gibson 

Sheriff Wm. Gibson 

Treasurer J. C. Moles 

Coroner J. E. More 

Surveyor J. H. Johnson 

Representative J. F, Forbet 



1860-62 

County Judge J. H, Smith 

Clerk Stephen Graves 

Sheriff Wm. Gibson 

Treasurer J. C. Moles 

Coroner A. Ross 

Surveyor J. H. Johnson 

Representative J. F. Lee 



1862-64 

County Judge Wm. Oliver 

Clerk L. D. Gilbreath 

Sheriff C. C. Lewis 

Treasurer J. W. Evatt 

Coroner R. H. Holley 

Surveyor C. L. Hough 

Representative E. Leming 

1864-65 

County Judge J. T. Harrison 

Clerk F. M. Scott 

Sheriff G. Kincannon 

Treasurer J. W. Evatt 

Coroner C. L. Hough 

Surveyor — — 

Representative (Confd) E. Leming 



1865-66 

Comity Judge N. Ellington 

Clerk C. H. Oliver 

Sheriff J. W. Barnett 

Treasurer — — 

Coroner C. L. Hough 

Surveyor — . — 

Representative E. Leming 



70 



1866-72 
county Judge ]S;S!^f}r 

Clerk L. D. Gilbreath 

Sheriff N. A. Floyd 

Treasurer J. W. Evatt 

Coroner W. D. Riley 

Assessor C. Malone 

iJ. Bethel 

Surveyor > D. P. Davis 

) C. A. Bird 
Representatives — 
With Polk, Montgomery and 
Hot Spring. 
J. V. Harrison 
J. H. Denby 
J. F. Lane 
J. J. Sumpter 
Jas. Bethel 
Elected, but not admitted — 
C. K. Kymes 
R. Bollen 
N. Ellington 

1872-74 

County Judge... Board Supervisors 

Clerk W. B. Turman 

Sheriff F. C. Gaines 

Treasurer N. Johnson 

Coroner Wm. Chitwood 

Assessor T. Suddith 

Surveyor C. L. Hough 

Representatives — 
With Polk, Montgomery, Hot 
Spring and Grant. 

L. D. Gilbreath 

J. J. Sumpter 

G. W. Latta 

H. H. Barton 

1874-76 

County Judge L. D. Pendery 

Clerk J. C. Gilbreath 

Sheriff F. C. Gaines 

Treasurer W. D. Looper 

Coroner G. W. Smith 

Assessor W. H. Highfill 

Surveyor C. L. Hough 

Representative L. H. Fuller 

1876-78 

Comity Judge S. Harrell 

Clerk J. C, Gilbreath 

Sheriff F. C. Gaines 

Treasurer W. D. Looper 

Coroner G. W. Rea 

Assessor C. M. Vise 

Surveyor C. L. Hough 

Representative J. H. Smith 



1878-80 

County Judge J, H Payne 

Clerk J. C. Gilbreath 

SheriflF Sam Leming 

Treasurer E. McCray 

Coroner T. F. Smith 

Assessor C. M. Vise 

Surveyor G. W Blair 

Representative A. G. Washburn 

1880-82 

County Judge J. H. Brown 

Clerk J. C, Gilbreath 

Sheriff John Rawlings 

Treasurer A. D. Peace 

Coroner T. F. Smith 

Assessor P. H. Young 

Surveyor G. W Blair 

Representative F. C. Gaines 

1882-84 

County Judge J. H. Brown 

Clerk J. C. Gilbreath 

Sheriff C, M. Vise 

Treasurer A. D. Peace 

Coroner c. H. Bell 

Assessor P. H. Young 

Surveyor .W. T. Brown 

Representative G. E. James 

1884-86 

County Judge J. H. Brown 

Clerk J. Cj Gilbreath 

Sheriff c. M. Vise 

Treasurer T. M. Evatt 

Coroner J, L. Baker 

Assessor p. H. Young 

Surveyor W. T. Brown 

Representative A. G. Washburn 

1886-88 

Coimty Judge Roland Chiles 

Clerk T. M. Duncan 

Sheriff C, M. Vise 

Treasurer T. M. Evatt 

Coroner F. G. Thomas 

Assessor E. B. Yoimg 

Surveyor w. J. King 

Representative A. G. Washburn 

1888-90 

County Judge Daniel Hon 

Clerk T. M. Duncan 

Sheriff i W. T Brown 

■ } Free Malone 

Treasurer T. M. Bottoms 

Coroner w. L. Tolleson 

Assessor e. N. McCray 

Surveyor w. J. King 

Representative W. G. Houck 

71 



1890-92 

County Judge J. M. Harvey 

Clerk T. M. Duncan 

Sheriff L. P. Fuller 

Treasurer D. A. Edwards 

Coroner T. H. Johnson 

Assessor E. N. McCray 

Surveyor W. J. King 

Representative J. W. McNutt 

1892-94 

County Judge E. D. Yandell 

Clerk T. M. Duncan 

Sheriff L. P. Fuller 

Treasurer D. A. Edwards 

Coroner J. C. Oliver 

Assessor J. D. Benson 

Surveyor W. J. King 

Representative R, E. Sessions 

1894-96 

County Judge J. W. Combs 

Clerk T. M. Duncan 

Sheriff G. M. Grandstaff 

Treasurer C. A. Finley 

Coroner D. C. Bevill 

Assessor G. W. Cornelius 

Surveyor J. B. Cox 

Representative .W. A, Houck 

1896-98 

County Judge J. W. Combs 

Clerk T. M. Duncan 

Sheriff G. M. Grandstaff 

Treasurer W. A. Evatt 

Coroner D. C. Bevill 

Assessor G. W. Cornelius 

Surveyor W. J. King 

Representative Jacob W. Rogers 

1898-1900 

County Judge S. K. Duncan 

Clerk L. P. Fuller 

Sheriff T. J. Center 

Treasurer W. A. Evatt 

Coroner D. C. Bevill 

Assessor W. F. Abbott 

Surveyor W. J. King 

Representative J. O. Sullivan 

1900-02 

County Judge G. W. Cornelius 

Clerk L. P. Fuller 

Sheriff G. M. Grandstaff 

Treasurer p. M Gilpin 

Coroner L. D. Duncan 

Assessor W. F. Abbott 

Surveyor w. J. King 

Representative. ..Sam W. Simpson 



1902-04 

County Judge H. N. Smith 

Clerk T. M, Duncan 

Sheriff G. M. Grandstaff 

Treasurer P. M Gilpin 

Coroner L. D. Duncan 

Assessor R. F. Payne 

Surveyor W. J. King 

Representative Cheves Beviil 

1904-06 

County Judge H. N. Smith 

Clerk T. M. Duncan 

SherifiF G. M. Grandstafl 

Treasurer J. M. Martin 

Coroner L. D. Duncan 

Assessor R. F. Payne 

Surveyor W. C. Wood 

Representative J. M. Hough 

1906-08 

("ounty Judge W. A. Bates 

Clerk S. K Duncan 

Sheriff T. J, Center 

Treasurer T. M. Evatt 

Coroner C. A. Atkins 

Assessor J. H. Oliver 

Surveyor W. J. King 

Representative W. F. Faulkner 

1908-10 

County Judge W. A. Bates 

Clerk S. K Duncan 

Sheriff . ..T. J. Center 

Treasurer J. M. Martin 

Coroner L. D. Dimcan 

Assessor J. H. Oliver 

Surveyor W. J. King 

Representative— -Sam W. Simpson 

1910-12 

County Judge T. W Stone 

Clerk S. K Duncan 

Sheriff R. F. Payne 

Treasurer J. M. Martin 

Coroner I. K. Leming 

Assessor G. E. Crowley 

Surveyor W. J. King 

Representative Tom Payne 



1912-14 

County Judge A. F. Smith 

Clerk J. M. Martin 

Sheriff R. F. Payne 

Treasurer Earnest Holland 

Coroner J. H. Harvey 

Assessor G, E. Crowley 

Surveyor W. J. King 

Representative H. R. Cantrell 

1914-16 

County Judge A. F. Smith 

Clerk J. M. Martin 

Sheriff R. L. Sherill 

Treasurer E. Holland 

Coroner J. H. Harvey 

Assessor Luney Black 

Surveyor J. B. Nance 

Representative J. MM. Millard 

1916-18 

County Judge Tom Payne 

Clerk T. O, Abbott 

Sheriff R. L. Sherill 

Treasurer T. M. Evatt 

Coroner J. H. Harvey 

Assessor Luney Black 

Surveyor J. B. Nance 

Representative J. M. Millard 

1918-20 

County Judge Tom Payne 

Clerk Lee Piles 

Sheriff O. S Bird 

Treasurer T. M. Evatt 

Coroner J. H. Harvey 

Assessor W. O. Smith 

Surveyor M. R. Cruce 

Representative J. H. Oliver 



72 



APPENDIX VI. 

Members of Ihe State Senate From the Scott 
County District. 

SCOTT AND CRAWFORD COUNTIES 

R. C. S. Brown 1836-40 

J. A. Scott 1840-44 

SCOTT AND FRANKLIN COUNTIES 

J. F. Gaines 1844-48 

S. H. Chism 1848-52 

,/csse Miller 1852-56 

SCOTT AND SEBASTIAN COUNTIES 

G. J. Clark 1856-64 

Charles Milor 1864-66 

H. L. Holliman 1866-68 

SCOTT, POLK, MONTGOMERY AND HOT SPRING COUNTIES 

1). P. Beldin 1868-74 

SCOTT AND SEBASTIAN COUNTIES 

.1. F. Wheeler 1874-76 

H. T. Kerr 1876-80 

J. P. Hall 1880-84 

R. H. McConnell 1884-88 

A. G. Washburn 1888-92 

J. F. Weaver 1892-96 

H. J. Hall 1896-1900 

George Sengel 1900-04 

SCOTT AND POLK COUNTIES 

George Legate 1904-08 

John P. Logan 1908-12 

E. J. Lundy 1912-16 

Ren H. Johnston 1916- 



73 



APPENDIX Vn. 

Circuit Judges Twelfth Judicial District. 

P. C. Dooley 1873 E. E. Bryant 1890-94 

P. B. Rutherford 1882 S. T. Rowe 1898-1906 

John S. Little 1886 Daniel Hon 1906-14 

J. H. Rogers 1887 Paul Littla 1914-19 

T. C. Humphrey 1890 John iBrizzolara 1919- 

Prosecuting Attorneys Twelfth Judicial District. 

D. D. Leach 1873 Ben Cravens 1900-04 

J. S. Little 1877 A. A. McDonald 1904-08 

A. C. Lewis 1884-86 Paul Little 1908-12 

J. B. McDonough 1886-92 L S. Simmons 1912-14 

T. N. Sanford 1892-96 Earl U. Hardin 1914-20 

Jo Johnson 1896-1900 Sam Wood 1920- 

Chancellors Tenth Chancery District. 

J. V. Bourland 1903-13 

W. A. Falconer 1913-19 

J. V. Bourland 1919- 



74