Skip to main content

View Post [edit]

Poster: Cliff Hucker Date: Oct 12, 2010 1:22pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Scotty's Music Store Jam?

Anyone have the 411 on this mysto jam session that took place sometime between 1970-1972, but likely during late 1971? In St. Louis, MO featuring Garcia, Weir, Buddy Cage and John Dawson (and possibly Dave Torbert)?

Possible set list : Mystery Train Jam; Slow Instrumental; Instrumental Jam; County Roads Jam; Country Roads; Instrumental Jam; Nobody Knows but Me; Goin' to San Antonio; Studio Talk; Instrumental Jam; Tuning; Instrumental Jam; Seasons of My Heart.

Obviously this event took place, the music has circulated.

Anyone heard it?

Know anything about it?

Want to send me an mp3 of the set?

Reply [edit]

Poster: robthewordsmith Date: Oct 12, 2010 2:21pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Scotty's Music Store Jam?

Some background that may be of interest (I have, of course, no idea how true any of the following actually is):

>From: jeff tiedrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>I'm impressed how, in the face of first-hand reports from Scotty, the owner of Scotty's Music Store and the source of the reel in question, speculation and disinformation such as what's below continue to drift in.
>
>Here's are the facts:
>
>1. The venue is Scotty's Music Store in St. Louis
Yes. The CDR I picked up from the store itself generally matches what's circulating.

>2. The date is unknown, but most likely recorded when the Dead and NRPS came through St. Louis anywhere from 1970 to 1972. Agreed. Date is certainly uncertain.

>Anything else reported as a fact is either guesswork or outright fabrication and can we please move past that now?
(And there are those who say that whoever is playing pedal steel is NOT Buddy Cage, that the playing is not in his style. So you see,even that is in question.)

Well, as you'll see below Scotty mentions that Buddy Cage was present and recognizes him on the tape. But he also says that he played that night. So, the unfamiliar style could be Scotty.

What follows are emails between Scotty, of Scotty's Music Store, and I regarding the unearthing of this master reel. (posted with his permission). BTW, Scotty is DeWitt "Scotty" Scott.

http://www.scottysmusic.com/
http://www.geocities.com/steelguitarjam/scotty.htm

************
Scotty,

Grateful Dead.

Apparently, members of the Grateful Dead and the New Riders of the Purple Sage (NRPS) had some sort of jam session at Scotty's Music Store in October of 1972. The Dead played at the Fox in St. Louis from October 17th through the 19th of
1972. It is likely that the jam session occurred either just before, during, or right after these shows. A fairly degraded 30 minute tape circulates from this
supposed session.

Scotty, any information (dates, times, how it came about, etc.) that you can recall from this jam session would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you know anything about the whereabouts of the master tape of the jam session, that info would be very helpful.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards, Jon

P.S. I enjoyed "Scotty's All-Star Band" with Vassar Clements and Doug Jernigan which I saw upstairs at the Sheldon last year (after the Flying Mules/Vassar
performance). Great stuff! Do you put these bands together often?